Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Does this deserve a "sic?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this deserve a "sic?" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In a Tribune article today, they used that dreaded word (for writers): sic. Do you think it's fair?

"The Catholic hierarchy are (sic) only part of the Catholic Church, and on this issue they don't speak for the Catholic people."

I do not. Hierarchy, I think, can be used as a plural noun, can't it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I agree

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
According to Longman, hierarchy can be countable or uncountable, depending on its use.

hier‧ar‧chy plural hierarchies

1 [uncountable and countable] a system of organization in which people or things are divided into levels of importance:

* A rigid social hierarchy
* She worked her way up through the corporate hierarchy to become president.

2 [countable] the most important and powerful members of an organization:
* the church hierarchy

So the Catholic hierarchy would seem to be a countable use and therefore the quote is correct and the [sic] is not.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it depend on whether we're using UK standard or US standard? In the UK it's normal; in the US it may seem odd.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I agree with Geoff (OMG!).
It's either UK or Canadian usage.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But don't our 2 UK members think the [sic] is not correct? However, I wasn't sure what Bob was agreeing to so maybe not.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was agreeing that the "sic" is not required.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But don't our 2 UK members think the [sic] is not correct? However, I wasn't sure what Bob was agreeing to so maybe not.
I believe that the passage is correct and therefore the [sic] is not required

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, now when I reread Geoff's post, I think he means that "hierarchy" in the plural may seem odd in the U.S (the "it" confused me). Is that true, Geoff? If so, it surely didn't seem odd to me or Shu. However, maybe it does to others?