Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(af)flatus Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
Kalleh notes elsewhere that "women are much more worried about passing flatus than men are."

flatus: gas in or from the stomach or intestines
afflatus: a strong creative impulse, especially as a result of divine inspiration

Coincidence? I think not!!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Inspiration" means "breathing in". The ancients believed ideas came from the gods breathing into a person's lungs. Perhaps the breath didn't come from the god's lungs?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Although flatus had a secondary meaning of farting, its primary meaning was blowing, breathing, snorting. Afflatus comes from the verb afflo 'to breathe on, blow on; be favorable to'. Latin flo is cogante with English blow. Proto-Indo-European had two related roots for the verb fart: one for the silent kind, the other for the noisy.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Proto-Indo-European had two related roots for the verb fart: one for the silent kind, the other for the noisy.
I wonder how one could know this?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
quote:
Proto-Indo-European had two related roots for the verb fart: one for the silent kind, the other for the noisy.
I wonder how one could know this?

That's the magic of etymology.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
OK, let me get this straight: while we women (wimmyn) have been hard at work at our jobs all day, you men have been sitting around the campfire discussing your own particular brand of hot air? Roll Eyes

Yeah, I guess that's about right--only I thought we were so much higher class here on the Wordcraft forum! Wink

Sigh!

Wordmatic

P.S. Did proto-Indo-Europeans eat everything raw?

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And then there is the word bloviate, meaning to speak pompously. I looked it up recently but can't find the reference.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
WM, I didn't really suggest anything based on gender. I just provided the base meanings in Latin. I thought the PIE stuff was just extra linguistic fun.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
"Inspiration" means "breathing in". The ancients believed ideas came from the gods breathing into a person's lungs. Perhaps the breath didn't come from the god's lungs?

This is almost verbatim how it's put in Genesis 2:7! It's a good argument against the notion that a blastocyst has "soul" if their god breathed into Adam's lungs the breath of life, and THEN he became a living soul.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmjezhd:
WM, I didn't really suggest anything based on gender. I just provided the base meanings in Latin. I thought the PIE stuff was just extra linguistic fun.

But you knew I was just pulling your chain, right?
:-)

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I was just pulling your chain

I guess I'm kind of humor impaired.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
'sall right. I just scanned the discussion and saw that--surprise!--only men, up to that point, were discussing flatus, and just couldn't resist. I apologize for my insufferable sexism, heh heh heh.

Big Grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Of which humor are you impaired? I have an excess of black bile I'll share if you like. It causes flatulence, you know. Roll Eyes

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Of which humor are you impaired?

Yes, just another word that has been smeared. Went all the way from fluid to wit. But, to answer your question, the jocular kind, Asa.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Then you'll need a blood transfusion, zmj, since it's the sanguine humor you seem bereft of right now. I probably can't help, since my blood type is only common among grumpy residents of Formosa: Taipei negavive.