Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Silly Season Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
Kiwis I know refer to this time of year as "the silly season." Is that expression only used in New Zealand or all over the British Commonwealth?

(It does sound from my sister's emails as if there are more parties going on over there than seem to be going on in this region of the U.S. Of course, it might help make us feel sillier if it were summer for the holidays instead of winter.)

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wordmatic, does "silly" seem to mean what it does here? I guess it kind of is a silly season when you think about it. People are partying while at work, picking up last minute gifts, drinking spiked egg nog...yep, it's a silly season, all right. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, "silly" there is the same as "silly" here, yes. There seem to be more costume parties and that sort of thing over there, and of course there's that whole bit with "crackers" and hats and noisemakers that we don't have here in the U.S., but I guess that's British too.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I so often butcher a thread or followup (esp Tuesday aftrnoon, when I allow myself 3 brews) that I consider silly season 12 months long