Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New word: "viewspaper" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
The Wall Street Journal notes that "Mr. Blair coined a new word in his speech: 'viewspaper.'"

What do we think of that coinage? Here is the context:
    The Independent newspaper ... was started as an antidote to the idea of journalism as views not news. That was why it was called The Independent. Today it is avowedly a viewspaper not merely a newspaper.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Looks like a one-off coining for rhetorical effect. I can't imagine any likelihood of it entering mainstream use.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Yes. In other words, he's got a mighty fine speech writer, or is one himself.

Are our British friends sorry to see him step down? I think we are in America, despite his support for the Iraq war. He was not only intelligent and quick but just very warm and human. I'm sure the political reactions are all over the place there, just as they would be here.

Not sure I will like Gordon Brown as much. He seems like a cold fish.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Frankly I think we'd be better rid of both of them.

And the idea that good old Tony will have any credibility as an ambassador of peace in the Middle East is about as sensible as suggesting Jack the Ripper should be made head of the Women's Institute.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Blair did not himself invent "viewspaper". It first appeared, as far as I know, in a British advertisement a few years ago. Either for the Independent or maybe the FT. Sorry to be foggy on details. The line went something like "A newspaper, not a viewspaper" and was trying to promote the paper's objectivity.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
Are our British friends sorry to see him step down?
Wordmatic

Not at all.
I write only rarely to the great and famous, but within months of Blair's appointment, I wrote (in anger) to him saying that his prolific 'spinning' on every conceivable issue, was nothing less than deception; and, the slow reacting British public would in time find him out. Despite his religious proclivities, this has proved correct. The support he enjoys amongst Bush's people shows an amazing naivety.
There are many issues of national importance that the public are better off not knowing, but lies and deceit, unbridled personal ambition only lead to the people's disenchantment of politicians and the whole political process. Let us hope that Mr Brown's actions validate his honourable spoken intentions.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling that Blair is/was popular in the USA because he supported GWB in his decision to attack Iraq.

He is unpopular here for precisely the same reason.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, your feeling is wrong, Richard. What is attractive about Blair to many of us is exactly what Wordmatic posted. He is warm, connects with audiences, and is very articulate. Even though one might not agree with his political beliefs, Blair is able to effectively communicate with national and international audiences. That is a talent...whether you agree, or don't, with his politics.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I get the feeling that Blair is/was popular in the USA because he supported GWB in his decision to attack Iraq.

No, I think those of us in America who are totally horrified by Bush's Iraq war are bewildered by Tony Blair's support of it. I suppose, if Pearce's assessment of him is correct, we have all been taken in by his "act." I'm not saying that I believe it is an act, but I have no way of knowing for sure either way.

What I am sure of is this: He may have been a "spinner" but, oh God, at least every time he opened his mouth, he said something that sounded intelligent! Do you know how many years it's been since we could say that about our chief executive? Do you know the effects on a populace of having to endure a leader who sounds "dull-normal" before the world every time he speaks? The shame? The embarrassment? arrrrrrrrrgh!

If Tony Blair ran for president over here, which he cannot not do under our constitution, but if he could, I believe he would win. That's how starved we are for a little brainpower in our leaders.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, your feeling is wrong, Richard. What is attractive about Blair to many of us is exactly what Wordmatic posted. He is warm, connects with audiences, and is very articulate. Even though one might not agree with his political beliefs, Blair is able to effectively communicate with national and international audiences. That is a talent...whether you agree, or don't, with his politics.

And this is exactly what has made him so dangerous. A plausible maniac is much more dangerous than an implausible one.
Tony Blair is an intelligent, well-educated, extremely articulate man who has, because of those qualities, been able to implement some of the worst policies any British Government has ever conceived.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
If Blair had been born a century or so earlier he would probably have made a good living as a snake oil salesman.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Blair

For those not familiar with him, Wikipedia has a an article on criticism of Tony Blair.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is warm, connects with audiences, and is very articulate.

He is a very good public speaker. Even though he's not been on my public speaking course he's learnt all the tricks!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
He may have been a "spinner" but, oh God, at least every time he opened his mouth, he said something that sounded intelligent! Do you know how many years it's been since we could say that about our chief executive?

Hear! Hear! I make it about, ah, almost eight years.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Not nearly close enough to eight years, actually. Check the Backwards Bush Clock. It's really a year and a half left to go. I don't know if I can stand it, actually!

And here's the page where you can download that screensaver!

Wordmatic
(edited to fix link--maybe.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hear! Hear! I make it about, ah, almost eight years.

Since just about every American I speak to or see reported feels this way about Bush, how come you elected him (twice!)?

Richard English

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Liars, all. Anyway, the courts elected him.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
how come you elected him (twice!)?

Well, to be fair, he was elected once. And some of us have our doubts about that one.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surely he was elected again, defeating John Kerry. Or would you call that a re-election?

Richard English

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I call it a travesty.

Personally I never voted for Bush Jr. or Sr., and know only a few people who did. But obviously enough of a plurality of the voters did vote for him in the right states to tip our electoral vote system just barely in his favor.

A lot of us believe that there were liberties taken with voter registrations in Florida in 2000 and in Ohio in 2004--the states that did the tipping in each of those years.

I would say, Richard, that the people you are likely to meet, with your interests, are probably not the Bush supporting demographic, in general, though I think we have some Republicans on this board who may have voted for him because they support the party or some particular issue he supports. As I've said before, though, all Americans most definitely do not act, think or vote alike, and if the presidential election were to be held today, he would surely lose--or I'd move to Canada. I wouldn't care how cold it is!

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since just about every American I speak to or see reported feels this way about Bush, how come you elected him (twice!)?
Obviously this discussion shows the importance of proper sampling techniques. While I don't agree with them, there are a lot of Bush supporters around.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post