Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

row Login/Join

<texhenge>
posted
An interesting headline on the news giant Time.com web site for today, 2008-12-12 is this--

Top Stories on Time.com
* A British Row Over College Beauty Pageants

Which uses "row" to mean an "argument". On a nice sunny day, I'd prefer to load my little boat WITH college beauty pagenat contestants and ROW around the lake.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And of course all your ducks may be lined up in a row.

I've noticed that the British use row to mean "argument" more often than we do in the states. I looked up the word on the online OED, and they said, "A slang or colloquial word, of obscure origin, in common use from c1800. Noted by Todd (1818) as ‘a very low expression’."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Noted by Todd (1818) as ‘a very low expression’.

Things have changed since 1818. It's now commonplace. I don't think anyone would call it slang, even.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I remember it being used in the play, "Angel Street," AKA "Gaslight" in its original form, ca 1938. The term was kept in US productions.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think anyone would call it slang, even.
I think we would in the U.S.

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call it slang. It's just not as used as much as it was in the past. Here are some headlines from news archives:

quote:
  • New York Times, August 19, 1904, Friday
    LEADERS MAY ACT IN MURPHY-M'CARREN ROW; Democratic Managers Think Feud Has Gone Too Far.

• New York Times, July 7, 1917, Saturday
    ROOSEVELT AND GOMPERS ROW AT RUSSIAN MEETING; Colonel's Denunciation Turns Welcome to Envoys Into a Quarrel Over Race Riots.

• New York Times, Feb 15, 1918, Friday
    PEACE CONGRESS ENDED IN ROW; Rupture Followed Stormy Discussion Between Trotzkyand Kaiser's Delegates.

• New York Times, December 8, 1920, Wednesday
    BUDGET COMMITTEE BREWS ROW IN HOUSE; Chairmen Resent Sending Money Bills to Larger Appropriations Committee.

• New York Times, February 19, 1922, Sunday
    TARIFF ROW COMING ON VALUATION PLAN; Senate Committee Decides Tentatively to Base Rates on Foreign Prices.

• New York Times, May 26, 1922, Friday
    FIST FIGHT MARKS TREASURY JOB ROW; Childs, Ousted Official, Beats Alleged Secret Service Man Shadowing Him.

• New York Times, March 18, 1937, Thursday
    HULL URGES TRUCE IN ROW WITH NAZIS; Again Deplores War of Words as Berlin Renews Protest on La Guardia's Attacks

• New York Times, January 23, 1938, Sunday
    ANTI-LYNCHING ROW SPLITS DEMOCRATS; Party's Solidarity Threatened by Determined Filibuster of Southern Senators

• New York Times, June 7, 1939, Wednesday
    JAPANESE IN CHINA KILL BRITON IN ROW; Ex-Officer of Shanghai Police Slain by Navy Landing Unit in a British Mill

• New York Times, January 8, 1940, Monday
    HORE-BELISHA ROW THREATENS TO END PARLIAMENT TRUCE; Immediate Session Is Sought to Throw Light on Dismissal and to Silence Rumors

• New York Times, October 13, 1945, Saturday
    COAL PARLEY ROW NEARS FISTICUFFS; J.L. Lewis, Angered by Former Senator Burke, Is Reported to Have Acted Menacingly

• New York Times, February 1, 1947, Saturday
    U.S. ROW CHARGED OVER PORTAL CASE; Lawyer of Mt. Clemens Union Says Wages-Hours Head Refuses to Back Attorney General

• New York Times, April 5, 1949, Tuesday
    MAYOR URGES VOTE TO SETTLE CAB ROW; 2,852 TAXIS ROLLING; Both Sides Agree to Weigh His Proposal but Owners Assert Walkout Has Collapsed

• Time Magazine - Time - May 7, 1951
    The Rollins Row

• Time Magazine - Time - Friday, Feb. 24, 1961
    Embassy Row
    Two of John Kennedy's choices for ambassadorships were in trouble last week.

• New York Times, February 6, 1963, Wednesday
    VOTE IN OTTAWA TOPPLES CABINET IN NUCLEAR ROW; Diefenbaker Is Defeated by Three-Party Coalition in No-Confidence Action

• New York Times, April 17, 1969, Thursday
    GUNS DUEL AT SUEZ 9TH DAY IN A ROW; Fire Is Exchanged Along the Southern Half of Canal

• Monday, Oct. 13, 1975
    Row Over Scarce Gas
    Shortages of natural gas, each more serious than the last, each just barely coped with and then forgotten, have plagued the U.S. every winter since 1969.

• Time Magazine - Time - Monday, May. 19, 1980
    Death Drama Stirs a Royal Row

• Time Magazine - Time - Monday, Oct. 06, 1980
    Growing Row over "Peer Review"

• The Washington Post Feb 12, 1977
    Eckerd Quits GSA in Row Over Politics

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, though I have a nit to pick about the NYT April 17, 1969, cite.

<texhenge>
posted
The grammatical term is beyond me, but it seems to read OK both when "row" is defined as "a line or sequence" and when it is defined as "an argument". Newspaper writers are fond of word plays.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Okay, though I have a nit to pick about the NYT April 17, 1969, cite.

You're right, that was a different kind of "row." I goofed.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Two guys had a fight ‘bout a cow
And I saw them right off the port bow.
I first pulled my fish in
(In a pregnant condition)
And now I’ll row my roe to the row.