Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    What does this mean to you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does this mean to you? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Headlines of the Tribune:

"Hillary claims the Democratic nomination"

I see this as a subtle criticism. I wonder if they'd say this about a Republican or even a man. "Claim" according to the dictionary means "to assert and demand the recognition of." Many of the definitions, in fact, have "demand" in them.

Am I crazy?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED Online definition of claim, 2c:
quote:
c. ‘Often loosely used (esp. in U.S.) for: Contend, maintain, assert’. (F. Hall.)

Online Etymology Dictionary
quote:
Meaning "to maintain as true" is from 1864;

UPI: Bush claims GOP nomination, predicts victory in fall
By THOMAS FERRARO | April 29, 1992
quote:
With a landslide victory in Pennsylvania, President Bush officially claimed the Republican nomination for re- election and told a record fund-raiser he expects to win big in the fall.

New York Times: Obama Clinches Nomination; First Black Candidate to Lead a Major Party Ticket
By JEFF ZELENY JUNE 4, 2008
quote:
Senator Barack Obama claimed the Democratic presidential nomination on Tuesday evening, ...

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see no criticism involved. In French, "demand" is a synonym for "request." Perhaps it's a subtle indication of this country's concept of property rights. Since Shufitz's specialty was real estate, I'd like to hear what he thinks.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
I see no criticism involved. In French, "demand" is a synonym for "request."

French "demander" is a false friend: it looks like "demand" but it means "ask". "To demand" in French is "exiger".

<Proofreader>
posted
Perhaps it's not the dic def, but I always thought "claim" in the sense described meant assumed or won.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Won" would have been better. "Claim" sounds aggressive to me. Of course, we all look at words differently, but all of you are men. I just wonder if women feel the same as you do.

posted Hide Post
Yes, I admit it; I'm a man.

Claim isn't necessarily aggressive. When you win a prize, you claim it. Where's the aggression in that? She won the nomination so she claimed it. No aggression implied. You notice the same word was used for Bush and Obama when they won their nominations.

Remember claim checks? When you checked your baggage (luggage if you prefer) or left a pair of shoes to be repaired, you'd get a claim check to retrieve them later.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I see all your points on that. I just don't think "claim" is usually used that way when a candidate wins an election. I've never seen it, anyway.

<Proofreader>
posted
I think Trump may claim the residency even if he loses, since the election is obviously rigged.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one never knows what he will do. Tonight he kicked a baby out of his rally.

<Proofreader>
posted
Anyone who will kick a baby can't be all bad.

posted Hide Post
Augustus Steranklozo posted on that link:
quote:
At a rally Tuesday, Donald Trump ordered security to eject a crying baby. Secret Service carried Trump outside before realizing the error.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Has no-one told this guy that politicians are supposed to kiss babies?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Believe me, arnie, this guy listens to no one but himself. It is ridiculous.

<Proofreader>
posted
If yu want to probe this guy's psyche, consider this. In 2010 Comedy Central roasted The Donald. Before taping the program they asked him what jokes were off-limits He agreed you could mention his hair, his three wives, his dating beautiful models, his sex life, and even his supposed desre to have sex with his daughter. The only part of his life that was verboten was to question how much he was actually worth.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, because many are questioning if he is really as rich as he says. Why he doesn't get more flack for not releasing his IRS records is beyond me. The whole "auditing" excuse is lame.