Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falling Login/Join

Picture of Bea
posted
I entered a weird discussion yesterday with someone in my local pub. Tadgh told me about his elderly father who fractured his hip. I asked him how this happened and his response was "Dad took a bad fall.".

Which confused me because to my understanding (and in line with the wonderful Andy M. Stewart's reasoning) ... "it's not the fall but landing that alters social standing".

Is this a particular in the Irish use of the English language that a "fall" is blamed on breaking bones and not the contact with the floor.

Bea

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

posted Hide Post
"Bad fall" is a common phrase in the U.S., at least around here. The earliest citation I've found in the OED Online is from 1855:
quote:
bad, adj.
II. In a positive sense: evil, unpleasant, deleterious, noxious, etc.
9. Tending to have a deleterious or damaging effect, esp. on health; injurious, hurtful, noxious, hazardous. Also, of a person: tough, ruthless. Freq. with for; formerly also (U.S.) with on.

1855 T. B. Macaulay Hist. Eng. IV. 723 He had just had a bad fall in hunting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's common enough in British English as well. As Bea says, it's not really the fall that's injurious, but the landing. In a similar way, people who are scared of flying are actually afraid of the plane crashing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
bad fall

If somebody told me their father had had a bad landing, I'd ask what flight they were on. It seems to me that fall in this sense may include the landing. That's why the bad as a qualifier. If you said that your father had a splendid fall the other day, but unfortunately broke his hip upon landing, I would expect you were joking.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Something like a "near miss" which is technically a good hit.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
bad fall

If somebody told me their father had had a bad landing, I'd ask what flight they were on. It seems to me that fall in this sense may include the landing. That's why the bad as a qualifier. If you said that your father had a splendid fall the other day, but unfortunately broke his hip upon landing, I would expect you were joking.

But doesn't the term "landing" equal "stop the fall"? One may have enjoyed a good fall but may still suffer from a bad landing? Like someone doing freefalling but landing in a tree or a tombstoner hitting shallow water?

Bea

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
But people do not say they had a bad landing, they say they had a bad fall. That's the proper way to say it. You're free to say it some other way, but then you run the risk of folks not understanding you.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
Several years ago, the FAA classified a crash as an "uncontrolled landing", or some other euphemistic phrase.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, a bad fall is not a euphemism but just plain language in action.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Several years ago, the FAA classified a crash as an "uncontrolled landing", or some other euphemistic phrase.
An aircraft does not fall from the sky unless something goes wrong; a landing is merely descending flight. A good landing is one which leaves the aircraft capable of taking off again. Big Grin

I agree, Bea, that "bad fall" is an idiosyncratic expression, quite illogical, but very common.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quite illogical

I am forced again to ask what is the connection between logic and semantics (or grammar)?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I am forced again to ask what is the connection between logic and semantics (or grammar)?

At times, none.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a case wherein the "sem" gets left off and only the "antics" remain.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But people do not say they had a bad landing, they say they had a bad fall.

That's the proper way to say it. You're free to say it some other way, but then you run the risk of folks not understanding you.
I suppose it all depends on your definition of "proper" because I see the point made here about the injury being due to the landing and not the fall. (However, to add another variable, some high falls, themselves, can create injuries on the way down.)

I wonder, though. You could say you've had a "bad landing from a fall," after all. Perhaps there are some people in English speaking countries that do. I didn't find many references to the phrase on Google, but I did find a few. They were mostly on discussion boards. I don't know. I am not willing to say it's not proper to say it that way because to me it seems most proper. How do we know that those who live in New Zealand or Australia or Canada or wherever don't say it that way?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post