Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unmentionable place Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
Did you ever notice that we call a certain place the washroom, restroom or bathroom, even though its primary function is not washing, resting or bathing?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Euphemisms! The Europeans simply call it the "Toilet," which is certainly saying it straight, though a bit crass to Americans.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Europeans simply call it the "Toilet," which is certainly saying it straight

Not really. One's toilet is the act of dressing and preparing oneself. Etymology Online traces the evolution of the word.

Another word that has lost its original euphemistic sense is lavatory, which comes from the Latin lavatorium, a place for washing. See Etymology Online again.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I suppose "merdeatorium" or "la place de la piss" might be a wee-wee bit confusing! Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is even more bewildering for me is that it's called 'the john'. And John is such a nice name.

Even funnier is that in Greek, in army lingo the toilet is called the 'Calliope'. Now why anyone would name the toilet after a muse is not at all amusing!

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the plumbing in a bathroom reminds them of that of a steam organ? Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps the plumbing in a bathroom reminds them of that of a steam organ?

Having experienced the eccentricities of some Greek lavatories (and their associated brightly-coloured basket into which paper must be placed for fear it will block the sewers) absolutely nothing would surprise me about Greek plumbing.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Europeans simply call it the "Toilet," which is certainly saying it straight

I had heard that the name became common for a lavatory follwing the installation of such facilities in trains about 150 years ago. Originally there were two cubicles, one a lavatory and the other a toilet. The railway companies, conscious that space for such facilities didn't generate revenue, then installed the washing and the excretory appliances into the one compartment, which freed up space. This new dual-purpose compartment they called "toilet" and the name stuck. As has been mentioned, the older name, lavatory, is now uncommon.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Other names I've heard for bathrooms:

water closet (w.c. in french)
crapper
pot
toitie
little girl's room
powder room
the head

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
water closet (w.c. in french)

And in most other European languages. It's one of the few examples of a word (or abbreviation, anyway) that the English language has given to others; usually it's English that steals other languages' words.

Richard English

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
This thread should be added to the UK/US differences one. From the title down it seems unbelievably prissy.

Toilets are far from unmentionable here. I thought this was going to a thread about euphemisms for ladies' private parts.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Nice:
... euphemisms for ladies' private parts.

Tell me more. I can think of slang terms, some cruder than others, but few euphemisms. I've heard it called an "oven for lovin'." And in jokes I've heard it called a "hope chest," "garage," and "washing machine."

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Private parts? That's pretty euphamistic itself!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the title down it seems unbelievably prissy.

Hmmm...we aren't that bad, are we? Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Private parts? That's pretty euphamistic itself!

Yeah! Some of those parts are becoming more public every day!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of those parts are becoming more public every day!

But often that is blamed on "wardrobe malfunction" LOL

One euphemism I hear a lot for private parts, and sometimes for the implied use of said parts, is "booty." They're not referring to me, though. I'm too old (or whatever).

Usage: Mmm, look at the booty on that.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
unbelievably prissy.

Yup, that's us - bunch of uptight, repressed word lovers.

Well, it is odd that we don't just say "I'm going to the bathroom", even. The kids in my neighborhood just say "I gotta use it". When I first started working there I actually asked a kid "use what?" and they all laughed at me.

Unfortunately we are keeping our public restrooms locked, and they have to ask for us to unlock them when needed. This is because there was so much vandalism (and other activity) in the first 6 months we were open.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, it is odd that we don't just say "I'm going to the bathroom", even.

But we do, don't we?

As for 'private parts' (hey...why keep it just to women's?!), I do believe we had quite a thread about that fairly recently. In fact, I think there were some complaints that it was, shall we say, less than prissy. Wink