Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Wordspotting: Amen Corner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordspotting: Amen Corner Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
The Wall Street Journal has had several interesting words and usages over the last few days. As I scramble to collect them, here's one.

The amen corner is the part of a church audience that can be counted on to deliver fervent "amens" throught the service. Last Monday (the 3rd) the paper used it figuratively, as the title of a brief editorial. Excerpted:
    AMEN CORNER ... a new study found that heart surgery patients showed no benefit when strangers prayed for their receovery. Patients who knew that they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications -- perhaps because they were alarmed that they were ill enough to be in anyone's prayers.

We don't presume to know what this study proves, other than perhaps that science is not an especially effective means by which to study God. Other research has shown that prayer can be beneficial to the sick. In any event, no scientific study is likely to stop people from praying for those who are ill, or to stop the sick from offering up prayers for their own good health. To which we say, Amen.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's also the name of a hole at Augusta golf course, where the Masters' will be held shortly, plus the name of a '70s (?) pop group.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raised Baptist, I'm familiar with the amen corner, though I hope people realize the expression is tongue-in-cheek. I've never experienced having an elderly man in my family, so I'm pretty much a sucker for them, which may be why I always get teary over this old poem, "Trouble in the Amen Corner"

posted Hide Post
quote:
AMEN CORNER ... a new study found that heart surgery patients showed no benefit when strangers prayed for their receovery. Patients who knew that they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications -- perhaps because they were alarmed that they were ill enough to be in anyone's prayers.

We don't presume to know what this study proves, other than perhaps that science is not an especially effective means by which to study God. Other research has shown that prayer can be beneficial to the sick. In any event, no scientific study is likely to stop people from praying for those who are ill, or to stop the sick from offering up prayers for their own good health. To which we say, Amen.

I read the report from that study. Patients were divided into groups...those who were told that they were the subject of prayer, those who were told that they may be the subject of prayer, and a control group who were told nothing and were not prayed for. If this had been a true scientific experiment, there would have been another group who were prayed for without being told. Their outcomes would have been truly interestng.

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
a slightly higher rate of complications -- perhaps because they were alarmed that they were ill enough to be in anyone's prayers.

We don't presume to know what this study proves, other than perhaps that science is not an especially effective means by which to study God

I also wonder what they mean by "slightly higher rate of complications." Is this a statistically significant difference? If not, it's probably due to chance.

When I was in psychology 101, we had to conduct a study. I chose to put one pot with seedlings in one room, and say sweet things to it 4 times a day. I put a similar pot in another room, and yelled at it 4 times a day. Interestingly, in the room where I was very sweet, only 4 seedlings grew, but they grew to be strong, vibrant and beautiful. In the other pot, more came up, and they were weaklings, yellowish and sickly looking. My professor said that the latter group looked worse because more plants came up, which makes sense. However, I always wondered why more of the seedlings grew in that pot in the first place.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this had been a true scientific experiment, there would have been another group who were prayed for without being told. Their outcomes would have been truly interestng.
What about a group who were told they were being cursed? Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
If this had been a true scientific experiment, there would have been another group who were prayed for without being told. Their outcomes would have been truly interestng.
What about a group who were told they were being cursed? Smile

For that matter, what about a group who were cursed without being told!? Medical researchers would shun the process on the grounds that, if effective, it would only do harm. Toxic prayer is a little-known phenomenon, but check out the last few verses of Psalm 139!

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
in the room where I was very sweet, only 4 seedlings grew, but they grew to be strong, vibrant and beautiful. In the other pot, more came up, and they were weaklings, yellowish and sickly looking. My professor said that the latter group looked worse because more plants came up, which makes sense. However, I always wondered why more of the seedlings grew in that pot in the first place.

Don't organisms under stress tend to reproduce more?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't organisms under stress tend to reproduce more?

Do we all feel randier when we are stressed?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Do you think "Amen Corner" would be used for a group of "Yes Men"? I picture a group of employees who all nod and murmur appreciatively each time the boss says something.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
From Danniel Henninger in today's Wall Street Journal:
    ... why is it not possible for the congressional Democratic Party and its Amen corner in the punditocracy and the blogosphere to overcome ...

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
From Danniel Henninger in today's Wall Street Journal:
    ... why is it not possible for the congressional Democratic Party and its Amen corner in the punditocracy and the blogosphere to overcome ...

These are the same people who were called "Dittoheads" a few years back, in Rush Limbaugh's heyday.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think you've got it backwards. "Dittoheads" are Limbaugh supporters; the columnist appears to be disparaging Democrats, so is on Limbaugh's side.

IMHO, there's plenty to disparage on either side!

Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I was thinking more generically, that the term "Amen corner" refers to a group of followers calling out, "Yes, oh yes--you are so right!" There is an Amen Corner for every faction, on the cable news and in the blogosphere.

The Dittoheads were Rush's Amen Corner.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another expr for "amen corner" is "amen bench"

...front seats...on either side of the pulpit....most devout members [the seats of the most enthusiastic...]--Cassell's Dict of Slang