Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Login/Join

posted
Wonder why we chose this word to fulfill its purpose.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Wonder why we chose this word to fulfill its purpose.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean why did we choose the string the instead of, say, decimate?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's more of a question of "I wonder why humans chose that particular arrangement of sound ("thuh") to fulfill the function it does?"

posted Hide Post
It's related to that, from *to-.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
("thuh")

It's not even a requirement in some languages: e.g., Latin, Sanskrit, Russian, and Chinese do without articles, definite or indefinite. Wonder is a winderful thing, but I doubt that the question has an answer.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I remember some shiny mustachioed professor saying that words are designed using something along the lines of a "parakinesthetic abstraction"; basically that certain kinds of sounds tend to be used for certain kinds of things.

An example he gave was showing the audience a picture of a curvy blob and a shape with sharp angles side by side, and he said "one of these is 'Kiki', the other 'Booba'; which is which?"

I don't think it's terribly beyond the pale to suggest that we know which is which, and the point he was trying to make is that the sounds of words have inherent meaning. I guess I was wondering if that was true do you think, or if there was more to it than that.

I dunno, what do you lot think?

posted Hide Post
this may be an example of cart before horse; that is, Booba *sounds blobby due to previous exposure to words like blubber, bubba, and.. well.. blob.

posted Hide Post
I think there are such things as onomatopeia and ideophone, but I think they are language-specific. For instance, Japanese waza waza means "doing something difficult on purpose, even though there is no need to, such as swimming across a river instead of taking the bridge", and uja uja means "many small things gathered together and moving, such as a swarm of insects or a crowd of people seen from a distance". But can English speakers guess which is which?

In general, the connection between sound and meaning is arbitrary.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since onomatopoeic sounds vary from language to language, might there be also a learned aspect to even them? That is, we rearrange actually perceived sounds to fit our phonemic toolkit.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Since onomatopoeic sounds vary from language to language, might there be also a learned aspect to even them? That is, we rearrange actually perceived sounds to fit our phonemic toolkit.

I think so, Asa. We do that when we borrow words from other languages: e.g., the difference between the Japanese and English pronunciations of futon, or Spanish and English burrito.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Spanish speaking roosters call, "¡Quiquiriquí!"

[kee-kee-ri-kee]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A pig oinks in Danish øf which is pronounced the same as the French word for egg œuf.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<texhenge>
posted
It is common in my area to train your dogs in different languages so they will respond individually; sometimes words have to be modified or substituted if similar sounding.

As President Clinton pointed out regarding a person of proven lingual skill, "it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is."

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Concerning onomatopoeia, I once read a book about "how to read aloud" that was written by a voice actor. He said that he treats every word as if it is onomatopoeic. That comment has stuck with me (even though I can't remember the book title or the author's name). It's an interesting thing to think about, as a puppeteer, professional read-aloud-er, and actress, and it changed the way I thought about those aspects of my work.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
A pig oinks in Danish øf which is pronounced the same as the French word for egg œuf.

Here's a link with lotsa animals, lotsa languages. Seems to me the transcriptions are pretty much the same for most animals, the world over.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the world over

If the world consists of Europe and a few of its (ex-)colonies.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<texhenge>
posted
The world, since 1836, has consisted of Texas.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the world consists of Europe and a few of its (ex-)colonies.

The link I saw lead to a list of languages, not countries. It includes most of languages of the northern hemisphere (with the notable exception of Chinese - although Japanese is included) I reckon the descriptor "the world over" whilst not being entirely accurate, certainly does not imply that it is only European colonies' languages that are included.

After all, most of Africa was once colonised by European countries, whereas Japan and Russia were not.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now something from the younger crowd:

How about "teh"?