Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Login/Join

posted
We normally think of "the cops" when we hear the word, "police," yet it has broader meanings. For instance, land use planning is considered a "police power" delegated to states, municipalities, etc. How did this term develop?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As is usual for you, Geoff, that's a thoughtful question. I looked up the etymology in the OED, and it comes "perhaps" from the Old French (c1250) word, pollice, meaning "regulation of trades, etc., in a town." That sounds like the broader definition, and it might have become more specific from that? That's an amateur's analysis anyway.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
And the origin of police from the Greek πολιτης (polītēs) 'citizen' < (polis) 'city'. (The -pore in Singapore is from the Sanskrit cognate puri.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about "politics?" Same source?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What about "politics?"

Yes.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
z, are they different origins then?

posted Hide Post
Yes, "politics" and "police" are both from Greek "polis".

posted Hide Post
My Windows XP computer is infected with "Windows Police Pro" which pretends to be an anti-virus. I didn't click on it, but did click on the bubble that came up from my bar. It took over all functions. Cannot use command window. Cannot do anything at all. All attempts result in an error box popping up. I need to do spyware removal, but there are too many suggestions on (primarily) Yahoo answer websites----do not know which one to try. They say to stop the program by going to the Task Manager, but I tried and can't access it by any means. Everything is totally hijacked. Is installing Defender via flash drive the answer?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Benjamin06,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Benjamin,

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I don't think this forum is the best place to post about problems with malware, though, as we aren't experts in the subject. I use a program called Spybot Search and Destroy if that's any help. I suggest you search for the exact name of the virus in an antivirus forum or similar.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the foregoing mean that Benjamin found this site by entering "police" into a search engine?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
It took over all functions. Cannot use command window. Cannot do anything at all.

But presumably you can access the internet and post to this forum...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
See my post elsewhere. I think the forum software is malfunctioning and crossposting from other boards.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does it do it without registering on this site? zmj points out elsewhere that they all have names with appended numbers, but clearly not all such names are spam.

Computer/internet-ignorant Geoff

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
How does it do it without registering on this site?

Spambots are scripts which are able to register and post to these forums.

they all have names with appended numbers, but clearly not all such names are spam.

Of course not, but the suspicious posts all have user names like that. Part of it is that all login names (not necessarily what is being displayed) have to be unique.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie is going to take a step that he'll post about in Community that we hope will help.

posted Hide Post
To expand on ZMJ's post there are also spybots which merely observe and gather data for marketing and other more nefarious purposes.
Benjamin06 needs to go to www.download.com and research Spybot (current version) and also AVG Free 9.0.
Police also has 2 subsidiary meanings--to do a cursory job ("We haven't time for a thorough cleanup so police the route") and to pick up detritus from a wide area (" Go police the parking lot for trash and cigarette butts."). Nothing whatsoever to do with what we regard as a traditional police officer's function.

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post