Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Microaggressions and safe spaces
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microaggressions and safe spaces Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the U.S., and according to reports it looks like it's occurring across the world as well, universities (NOT the University of Chicago) are developing "safe spaces" for students to allow them places to "recuperate" from microaggressions, or subtle displays of racial or sexual bias. In this NY Times article, they describe Brown University's "safe places" as equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, calming music, pillows, blankets, Play Doh and a video of frolicking puppies. The University of Chicago has taken a different stance.

I can see both sides, I suppose, but I tend to agree with the University of Chicago. What are your thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
So do I.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those UofC students who don't like the school's approach might spend a weekend in South Chicago. If they survive, they can go back to school and tell about how it has changed their attitude. Wink

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, there's a difference between reliving a traumatic event and being uncomfortable. This sounds no different than the sorts of discussions we had when I was in university 20 years ago.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, Goofy. From my understanding, Geoff, most of the U of C students agree. They are, by and large, a different breed of students - very intellectual and a little geekish.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
They are, by and large, a different breed of students - very intellectual and a little geekish.
Off the top of my head I can only think of two U of C grads whom I've known personally, and, being of my generation, not likely comparable to the present bunch. Nevertheless, they did embody that spirit of free enquiry espoused by the school. As the quotation wrongly attributed to Voltaire puts it, "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Physical assault and ad-hominem intimidation are another issue.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Are you speaking of Shu? Though he graduated from the U of C Law School, and not undergrad school. There is a difference. My daughter graduated from their law school, too.

posted Hide Post
OK, make that four!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

posted Hide Post
quote:
As the quotation wrongly attributed to Voltaire puts it, "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

That was written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre, in The Friends of Voltaire (1906), according to Wikipedia:
quote:
The chapter on Helvétius contains a famous quotation that was subsequently misattributed to Voltaire himself. While discussing the persecution of Helvétius for his book "On the Mind" (which was publicly burned), Hall wrote:

What the book could never have done for itself, or for its author, persecution did for them both. 'On the Mind' became not the success of a season, but one of the most famous books of the century. The men who had hated it, and had not particularly loved Helvétius, flocked round him now. Voltaire forgave him all injuries, intentional or unintentional. 'What a fuss about an omelette!' he had exclaimed when he heard of the burning. How abominably unjust to persecute a man for such an airy trifle as that! 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,' was his attitude now.

The phrase "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", which was originally intended as a summary (by Hall) of Voltaire's attitude, was widely misread as a literal quotation from Voltaire.

No one seemed to like On the Mind by Helvétius, not even Voltaire, until the Dauphin (heir apparent to the throne of France) read it. It was officially condemned and publicly burned.
quote:
Then the Dauphin read it.

The privilege to publish was revoked; the censor who approved its publication was sacked. A rolling wave of official condemnation began, culminating with the Pope (Jan. 31, 1759) and the Parliament of Paris (Feb. 6) and public book-burning by the hangman (Feb. 10), an honor shared with Voltaire's ``Natural Law.''

On the principle that anything so unpopular with the government must ipso facto be pretty good, the official condemnation permanently established Helvétius's philosophical repute among the fashionable salon crowd, and rehabilitated him among the intellectual elite as well, to a great extent. He became popular in Protestant Germany and England.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might also want to look at The Quote Investigator.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There are many quotes that are wrongly attributed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
There are many quotes that are wrongly attributed.
Who said that?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here are some misquotations from Wikipedia.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hi Kalleh, catching up here. I like UC's direct approach & completely agree. Googled around hoping to find something similar from my alma mater Cornell U, no luck. A few articles suggest they are handling in usual Cornell fashion w/protests & lively exchanges in campus publications. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to find that neighboring Ithaca College's student govt proposed an online site for anonymous reporting of 'microaggressions' late last year. Sheesh. Harvard's Alan Dershowitz gave a no-holds-barred thumbs down to the whole concept on the radio last January.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good, B35. Yet weren't both Cornell and Harvard founded by religious types who wanted to teach people conformity to their brand of religion?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Very good, B35. Yet weren't both Cornell and Harvard founded by religious types who wanted to teach people conformity to their brand of religion?

B35? Is that what it is suppose to be? I was thinking it was Beth and had no idea what the last part meant!!! LOL I just called Bethree5, Beth in another post.

posted Hide Post
Somewhere she explained how she came up with her screen name, but I can't find it. I hope she pops in here and re-explains it! It ain't Beth or B35. Hmmmm... Isn't "beth" a Hebrew word for "house?" If so, how'd it get to be a woman's name?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I don't remember seeing how she came up with the name, but B35 is short for "be three 5".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is one perspective. However, the University of Chicago is a laudable, scholarly place with 89 Nobel laureates. Not too shabby. They have made excellent decisions over the years - and not only about money.

On the other hand, I may be biased since my husband and daughter both graduated from their law school. Razz

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The following quote is all over the web, and it's attributed to Churchill, though he didn't say it:

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”

I can't find the evidence to support my position right now, but I'll post it later.

posted Hide Post
This guy thinks the original quote was "A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip," and he attributes it to Caskie Stinnett in 1960, but the comments trace it back to 1953.

posted Hide Post
In response to Goofy's link, it's necessary to define terms. Does "liberal" now mean loony leftie? Not to my mind, but those who bill themselves as "conservatives" seem to have convinced the majority that that's the case.
To me, freedom of expression defines liberaism, NOT so-called political correctness, which is as confining as right-wing "the bible says so" rigidity.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Tinman, you are correct. Shu is the one who found that out, and we looked last night for the source and couldn't find it. Thanks!

It just goes to show that you can't go to the web and get a quote without verifying it. This one is all over the web.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does "liberal" now mean loony leftie? Not to my mind, but those who bill themselves as "conservatives" seem to have convinced the majority that that's the case.

Dunno how you can say that. Only "loony righties" think that and I doubt they've convinced anything other than a small percentage, let alone a majority.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

Dunno how you can say that. Only "loony righties" think that and I doubt they've convinced anything other than a small percentage, let alone a majority.

http://www.theblaze.com/storie...ge-career-milestone/

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Rush limbaugh is definitely a loony rightie. Not many agree with him.

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there are far too many ditto-heads who think his every word is gospel. He has the most-listened-to radio program in the USA, with over 13.25 million weekly listeners. How many actually believe that crap and how many just listen for the "entertainment" I couldn't say.

posted Hide Post
I hope you're right, Kalleh, but I'm not so sure. He has the most-listened-to radio program in the USA, with over 13.25 million weekly listeners. How many of those who are true dittoheads and believe all the crap he dishes out and how many just listen for the "entertainment" I don't know.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
ditto-heads .

That's a new word for me. Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who blindly believe Rush Limbaugh commonly say, "ditto," thus the moniker.

I call them dildo-heads.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard "ditto heads" either.

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, be glad that you've never had to work somewhere where your co-workers insisted on having Rash Limbaugh blaring away on the radio.
That's one VERY big disadvantage of working with "disgusting" types, as I do.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When I'd drive my kids back east to college, I'd force myself to listen to Rush Limbaugh, just so I'd know what the far right is talking about. It was brutal - I'd always want to call in and disagree. However, I knew if I did that he'd just cut me off and laugh at me as he does with others who disagree with him.