Wordcraft Community Home Page
Jumbo VI

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1881077124/m/4911094954

January 24, 2013, 10:34
bethree5
Jumbo VI
those TREASURERS probably victims of an ailment transmitted thro international travel-- sadly there's
NO PORT CURE
January 24, 2013, 17:23
haberdasher
If the COUNTERTOP had a NICE BURL to it you could eat off it with this kind of spoon (and perhaps enjoy slices of quince...)
January 24, 2013, 17:28
haberdasher
Nope. I retract. Two-Ts-one-R is not two-Rs-one-T.
January 25, 2013, 06:32
Tom
I'm pretty stumped on both of them. The closest I got to the NO PORT CURE is "corruption", (switching an "i" for an "e"). I can't figure out the NICE BURL either. Either both are words I'm not familiar with, or I'll be smacking my forehead when I see the answer(s).
January 25, 2013, 10:45
arnie
NICE BURL is RUNCIBLE. Roll Eyes

Give him a TREAT; PAY for the meal! (usually two words)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 25, 2013, 11:38
Tom
If you're going to have a TEA PARTY, be sure and include a whole SPECTRUM of cakes and other treats.
January 25, 2013, 15:21
haberdasher
Clearly with tea comes CRUMPETS.

But we still don't have STUCCO PENS ("consuscept"), let alone NO PORT CURE.
January 25, 2013, 22:33
bethree5
OOPS chiming in late here... holy cow, you guys are doing this game like a house afire! MEA CULPA: I stupidly was trying to anagramize "corruption", & substituted an e for an i. so just skip "no port cure" SORRY!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,
January 25, 2013, 23:15
bethree5
Yum, CRUMPETS-- part of the SPECTRUM of breakfast offerings-- LO, COULD MERIT these sprinkles!
January 28, 2013, 07:48
Tom
MULTICOLORED !

Lo: could I merit CAKE, POOLSIDE?
January 28, 2013, 08:49
Tom
quote:
But we still don't have STUCCO PENS ("consuscept")

The scrambled for STUCCO PENS was following a sort of theme with "epitome". Hint: the word was more synonymous with "synopsis", if anyone is still trying to guess it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom,
January 28, 2013, 11:05
arnie
KALEIDOSCOPE

If he ATE the PELT, was it an artist's?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 28, 2013, 15:08
Tom
If he ATE a PELT, I hope he had a good PALETTE. and gave it A BEST DUSTing that he could. (Okay, kind of bad, but the best little quip I could think of.)
January 31, 2013, 10:39
bethree5
TASTEBUDS!

HELL, A PITY this activity isn't tastier...
February 02, 2013, 07:43
bethree5
hint: I guess I licked you guys with that one.
February 02, 2013, 19:15
haberdasher
Nice one: PHILATELY (Groundhog's Day kept us all waiting this year?)

Speaking of stamps, they keep falling off my mail. I asked the Postmaster what would he advise to rectify the problem, and he suggested I use an EAVE DISH. Twice, as a matter of fact.
February 04, 2013, 09:42
Tom
ADHESIVE would be a good idea to use.

I was thinking of putting on my stamps with small nails and handing them to a NEAT SERF to deliver. But maybe the glue would be easier to use.
February 05, 2013, 09:10
bethree5
FASTENER!

...and if these don't hold, creator SCORES "EF"
February 05, 2013, 17:42
haberdasher
FRESCOES ??

Well, if one breaks into three parts and you're looking for a place to put them together,
HIT CRYPT !
February 07, 2013, 10:48
bethree5
TRIPTYCH!

fast ride, OR A KIT for quick loans?
February 08, 2013, 18:42
haberdasher
TA-KI-OR !! That's the sound of the Shofar blowing, in Boston.

No, I didn't think so.

ORAKIT - that sounds like something my dentist would recommend.

I can make all kinds of Japanese-sounding letter combinations out if it, but nothing to get a handle on.

Do we actually know this word?
February 09, 2013, 00:14
arnie
TROIKA!

Give PART INCOME its due.

February 09, 2013, 06:32
haberdasher
TROIKA ! Lovely choice !

Moral: English, even Latin roots - fine. Greek roots? Harder. Russian? Others? Toughest. Sometimes.

Just shows the IMPORTANCE of keeping an open mind.

If the occasion ever arises - will you feel abashed if you can't MISDIRECT UFO ?
February 09, 2013, 08:04
<Proofreader>
Does this game ever feature two-letter anagrams?
February 09, 2013, 12:16
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

On.
February 09, 2013, 14:52
<Proofreader>
quote:
On.

Don't tell me. I'll figure it out.
February 09, 2013, 16:20
haberdasher
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

Call that a "degenerate" problem * , if you're a mathematician, or a "minimalist" problem if you're in the Arts, so - since it yields too easily to brute force - no. The only challenge is whether you ever heard of the word, Three and four-letter anagrams are kinda trivial too. The "Jumble" puzzle published in many newspapers - which inspired this and all previous such threads originally - starts at five letters.

* (like Hofstadter's "headache" problem, which asked for a word that began and ended with the same two-letter pair "HE." The word "he" was offered, and rejected as a solution. Degenerate. )
February 11, 2013, 05:34
haberdasher
Moving along - that living room set is made of fake pine. (Oops, sorry, I meant UNTRUE FIR.)
February 12, 2013, 09:37
Tom
I get that the FURNITURE is made of "UNTRUE FIR", but is the MISDIRECT UFO still flying around?
February 14, 2013, 06:34
haberdasher
Why, so it is. Hope its persistence doesn't cause too much unease or emparrassment.
February 14, 2013, 08:09
arnie
DISCOMFITURE

If anyone knew about my BASE DREAMS I'd be ...

February 14, 2013, 11:28
Tom
It's close to "besmeared" if you switched one of the a's for an "e".?
February 14, 2013, 11:48
arnie
It is ... Roll Eyes

February 14, 2013, 12:55
Tom
Dang, we'll have to lower your PAI GRADES for misspelling....

(By the way, do you have a hard-and-fast rule about starting a new thread when you reach 500 posts? I noticed it at the start of this topic.)
February 14, 2013, 22:29
arnie
It is close, but not on the button. Smile

No need to start a new thread. That was when we had different forum software, and long threads took longer to load. It makes no difference now.

February 15, 2013, 03:57
haberdasher
BASE DREAMS might make you EMBARASSED if you let them, but

I, IRON MISCREANT, say there's no need for this.
February 15, 2013, 07:03
Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Tom: Dang, we'll have to lower your PAI GRADES for misspelling....

Oops, sorry, my bad.
February 15, 2013, 18:17
haberdasher
Not to worry. Tom, identifying a misspelled anagram is nothing to disparage.

I, IRON MISCREANT, say there's no need for this, either.
February 21, 2013, 17:15
Tom
Is "INCRIMINATORES" a word? If so, please raise my PAI GRADES. (actually, I don't remember what that one was, but I'll refigure it out if I got this one right)
February 21, 2013, 19:01
haberdasher
Go back one post and look again: PAI GRADES is DISPARAGE.

And again I, IRON MISCREANT, say there is no need for these, for this kind of action either. But you're not far off. Try it again !
February 21, 2013, 23:08
arnie
RECRIMINATIONS!

A bad SITCOM PLAN might give rise to lots of these.

February 22, 2013, 13:23
Tom
Those COMPLAINTS were by a not- SO-RUSTY FANATIC
February 24, 2013, 19:16
haberdasher
SO-RUSTY FANATICS are giving me a hard time.

I've got all kinds of TYRANTS ans FASCISTS and SYCOFANTS but with a lot of letters left over.

I even have FY ASTRONAUTICS which of course is out of this world but nobody complains about it.

Time for GPS Mode. [recalculating]

YOURS,
FANTASTIC
February 24, 2013, 19:38
haberdasher
RUSTY FANATIC SO
Hard to unscramble, our
Wordcrafter Jumbo Team
Calls it a day.

With a result that is
UNSATISFACTORY
(Technically speaking)
in more than one way.

Speaking of a humorous play on words - AM I A SOPRANO ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,
February 28, 2013, 09:36
haberdasher
Dear me. I certainly didn't mean to bring the thread to a screeching halt like this.

If you put "a humorous play on words" into the Reverse Dictionary function of Onelook.com, I think you'll find it in the first two hits, the other one being "pun."

Meantime, for AM I A SOPRANO, no I'm not, I'm more like a baritone these days. I take it back. TEAR CRT.
February 28, 2013, 11:14
Tom
Well RETRACT it or not, I just wasn't familiar with that last one. I was so mixed up I couldn't even figure out which side was the FOCUS END of my camera.
March 01, 2013, 01:59
arnie
I'm getting CONFUSED.

EMETIC PEARS can be a work of art, surprisingly.

March 01, 2013, 14:21
Tom
Well that word was simply a MASTERPIECE so you can have a champaign for your "touchdown". Mine just isn't as good, but it counts, so I'll have some PUNT-TIME ALE for it.
March 02, 2013, 09:45
haberdasher
That makes PENULTIMATE but I have the feeling you meant something else.

I think it'll wind up right before to the end of the
VALUE NET.
March 05, 2013, 12:29
Tom
Penultimate was it. I am not sure what "something else" you meant. I know you talk in riddles that I don't get sometimes but I get them EVENTUAL(ly).

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is NIFTY AIL for a clue for the next one, and I'm not all the proud of it, but I had to think of something in the end....