Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Not secure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not secure Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I've had questions about that little "Not Secure" icon that appears on the upper left of our screen. I have asked the platform directors about that. I think it means that this site doesn't guarantee security if you submit a credit card number (which of course we don't do), but I'll let you know for sure. I think, when they had to change to accommodate a new European Union requirement, the new forum would have secured it for that. However, our legal advice was that we did not have to change to the new (and of course more expensive) format.

Posts: 23976 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's not from them, it's from your browser.

quote:
Websites are served up over a protocol called HTTP, which stands for “hypertext transfer protocol —this is a standard way your computer communicates with the website you’re viewing. A secure site uses a security certificate called SSL, which changes the URL to HTTPS. This added security basically protects your computer’s communications so that it’s harder for other people to listen in and figure out what you’re doing or get the information you’re sending online.

Posts: 8239 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have been in touch with our vendor (Social Strata), and they are going to move our platform to be secure. While we don't submit credit card information, apparently some of our passwords could be hacked. The move may cause links to be broken, or other issues, they said, so let me know if that happens.

I do wish arnie were still here. He is much better than I am at this sort of thing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay - we are secure! We have been transferred to SSL or Secure Sockets Layer. Surprisingly, it was free! Now I wonder why they just didn't do it. I guess some links could be broken, so they probably needed my permission.

posted Hide Post
Good to know!