Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Midwest floods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midwest floods Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted
We are seeing horrific images of the floods in Ohio and other areas of the Midwest. I would like to extend my good wishes to all in the effected areas and express the hope that no Wordcrafters has been involved.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, CW, I was wondering about you, too. We hope all is well.

We are very, very wet here in Chicago, and tonight the streets were flooded all around so that my son couldn't get home from work (he lives in Chicago) and is spending the night with us in the suburbs. My train was hugely delayed because trees were on the northbound tracks, and the northbound trains had to swtich to the southbound tracks, thus canceling all southbound trains. What a mess!

Everyday and night, for so long, it has rained here. Normally the TV gives thunderstorm warnings for various counties in the area, and we had to laugh tonight; they just said "Severe thunderstorm warnings until further notice."

Yet, we've not had it like you have in Ohio. How are you doing, CW?

Thanks for asking, Richard.

Posts: 24523 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just been watching a report on the Beeb this morning and it seems that things are still bad in the Midwest and especially Ohio. But the Southeast is suffering a severe drought and many farmers have suffered crop failure.

Climate change or what?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not sure about the southeast, Richard, but the entire midwest, from the north to Texas, has been saturated this year. However, often the weather is quite disparate across our nation.

The aftermath of yesterday's storm in Chicago is amazing. I heard that for the first time since 9/11, O'Hare's control towers were closed down yesterday. We had some committee members into our offices today, from all over the country, and their stories (when they made it) were interesting. I guess there were wall to wall cots with sleeping people at both O'Hare and Midway. Some of our members spent the night in Columbus, taking an early plane to Chicago this morning. Others spent the night until about 2 a.m. in Indiana, and then getting in. Still others got in early enough, but because of snafus at the airport had to wait hours for their luggage. I walked in our neighborhood tonight, and there are huge trees down everywhere. Streets are still wet, and there is standing water all over. I have never seen anything like this. The winds were as high as 85 mph yesterday, and even in downtown Chicago they were 75 mph. That's unheard of in our area. It has been the wettest August in the history of Chicago, with about 12 inches so far.

Fortunately, though, it looks like things are calming down, the humidity should plummet this weekend, and we're looking at less rain in the next few weeks. Thank goodness.

CW, how are things in Ohio? I did hear that Columbus is dry.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure about the southeast, Richard

We had quite an extensive report, including interviews with farmers who were complaining about the drought having spoilt their harvest. It certainly looked very dusty down there.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of our members spent the night in Columbus, taking an early plane to Chicago this morning.

Of course, Columbus now has no rail service - one of the largest cities in the USA to be thus deprived.

Richard English

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
RE, seems like things are topsy-turvy in your neck of the woods, too. I'd almost forgotten that I'd seen news footage of towns under several feet of water in England or Scotland while I was on vacation-- now I read of terrible drought/ heat/ uncontrolled fires in Greece. Read this bit on BBC online:
South-East Europe's heat and the UK's wet weather have both been blamed on changes in the jet stream - a seasonal band of air from the Atlantic that has taken a more southerly path across Europe this year.
How are things in your area of England?

Posts: 2495 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Fortunately, though, it looks like things are calming down, the humidity should plummet this weekend, and we're looking at less rain in the next few weeks.

Good grief, Kalleh! Good luck to you & yours during the aftermth. As a former longtime denizen of NYC, I've seen that extended bad weather can create all sorts of unpredicted havoc on our older urban infrastructures. I was glad to read your closing comment, as your weather tends to end up here. Fortunately the rain let up here after 4 days, but we still have had only a few hours of sun in 7 days here, and the humidity is so high that when I try to open one kitchen drawer, the 3 below open with it!

Posts: 2495 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How are things in your area of England?

Today's the first day of sunshine we've had for a week. But it's set fair for the next few days.

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
There has been a lot of water around, but luckily we are dry. Thank you all for inquiring. I've been on vacation these last 2 weeks, so my visits to the site have been sporadic, at best.

We did plan to do some canoeing this week, but of course it's not been safe, what with the flooding around. The rivers are all going full force. In fact, some of the tributaries into the Ohio Riv. have been flowing backwards because of all of the water! We did quite a bit of driving along the Ohio this week, and other rivers as well. It's kind of cool to see them when they're high but no longer dangerous to be near.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CW, I am glad to hear all is well with Columbus.

We, apparently, were quite lucky, Bethree. I was out and about today, and there were still many trees down and blocking roads. These were huge, old trees (one was 2 centuries old, and had been an Indian trail tree) that were uprooted, thus tearing the sidewalks up so that they were almost horizontal! Whatever it was that came through the Chicago area caused comprehensive destruction, from the north to the south and the east to the west. A tornado, for example, will have a path of destruction. This was widespread and all over. It really was very similar to a hurricane, though we don't have hurricanes.

BTW, one of our committee members who came in on Friday was taking a cab to the city after her plane finally landed. The cabbie was listening to the BBC, and what were they reporting? The weather in Chicago!

quote:
Of course, Columbus now has no rail service - one of the largest cities in the USA to be thus deprived.
Is it just I, or does this comment give Wordcrafters a sense of déjà vu?

posted Hide Post
quote:
The cabbie was listening to the BBC, and what were they reporting? The weather in Chicago!

BBC World gives weather reports and forecasts for everywhere in the world. I always tune to it when I'm abroad so I can see what weather I'm likely to get. Obviously the local station's forecast would be better, but if it's in Arabic then it's not all that helpfulSmile

Richard English

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I wish I had recorded it ....

Some years ago, doing my Traveling Salesman job in Boulder, Colorado, I was listening to the local radio station,KBOL, and heard the annoucer end a brief weather report thusly ::: "... and the chance of probability for tomorrow is fifty percent."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Despite all of the excess water across our state, we were still (finally) able to canoe on a local resevoir today. It was absolutely lovely. Warm, but not so sweltering as to dehabilitate us.

JT - that is funny!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a perfect day. I have only been to your town once, CW, but I remember it as a lovely college town in autumn, as picturesque as the one I grew up in (Ithaca NY).

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Bethree. I think it's a great town. Hopefully you'll be able to visit next Spring!

~Dalai Lama