Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Private message for KHC only
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Private message for KHC only Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
What do you think of all the talk about soccer (it's correct name) on that other thread? They say its played in more country's than any other sport but I doubt that. They don't realize that most brand's of British beer are just repackaged Budweiser so I hesitate to accept their views on sports. And anyway, as much as R.E. swoons over "Posh Spice," what kind of name is that anyway? Say it three time's fast and your spitting on whoever is standing in front of you.

Hey, I just heard from an unimpeachable source (some guy on the internet) that Sir Francis Bacon wrote all of those "Alice in Wonderland" books but let's keep that just between us. This is, after all, a private post...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
If I'd read this post, which of course I didn't, I'd probably be chuckling right now, which of course I'm not.
Read a clearly private post ? Not me. No sir.

Posts: 8627 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nor did I read it. Not only did I not read it, but I also didn't notice the misplaced apostrophe.

Posts: 24357 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe that Bob and Kalleh read my private message!

I just no that there conscience's are bothering them...Smile

Confession: Hey! I've heard of Michael Jordan AND David Beckham.. I've seen Michael Jordan play and I saw David Beckham at Madame Tussaud's...does that count? CJ, can I have another half-point? Wait... this is not the game.. sorry.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Since this is clearly NOT a private topic (since it's not in a the private topics area) I had no qualms about reading it.

I do have one question, those, who is Posh Spice - and why would I swoon over her? Does she, perhaps, drink Fuller's 1845?

By the way, as I have mentioned previously, I know and care nothing for sports or for pop music - so it is unlikely that I will have any knowledge of persons in those fields.

And you might be interested to know that the A-B Budweiser drunk in the UK by those people who don't like the taste of beer is brewed in London, not the USA.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

And you might be interested to know that the A-B Budweiser drunk in the UK by those people who don't like the taste of beer is brewed in London, not the USA.

That is interesting. Maybe if we sent over some American brewmasters to instruct their British counterparts in the fine art of producing first-rate beer they'd eventually master the craft.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if R.E. eventually learned to love his Bud? Maybe if they put it into fancy bottles and called it Budweiser 1845?

posted Hide Post
A-B Budweiser is manufactured (I wouldn't grace the process with the noble term brewing) quite near to Wandsworth, where is situate the wonderful Young's brewery.

The A-B site is at a place called Mortlake (which roughly translates as "dead water" an apt description for the substance that is made there.

And no, CJ, I will never like A-B Budweiser - and I have drunk it, as I have drunk many American beers - some very good, some OK, some awful and some, like Budweiser, even worse than that.

By the way, I take you have made it your business to try some 1845 or other decent English beer so that your comments can be tinged with accuracy...

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
By the way, I take you have made it your business to try some 1845 or other decent English beer so that your comments can be tinged with accuracy...

There was once a Smothers Brothers routine in which Tommy was denegrating the film "Paint Your Wagon" which, in part, could be paraphrased as follows:

Tommy - It's a silly stupid film.

Dick - Did you see it?

Tommy - ...You're not supposed to sing in a western...

Dick - But did you see it?

Tommy - Lee Marvin was...

Dick (interrupting) - But did you see it?

Tommy - It was... Ah, it was...

Dick (shouting) - Did you see "Paint Your Wagon"!

Tommy (shouting back) - I'M AN AMERICAN! I DON'T HAVE TO SEE SOMETHING TO KNOW WHETHER I LIKE IT OR NOT!!

That punchline always got two laughs. The first was, of course, at the ridiculousness of Tommy's statement but then, a bit more profoundly and a beat or two later, the second came from the shock of recognition of an all-too-common American character trait.

So. To answer your question, No, I haven't tried any British beers/ales/stouts/whatever in over 20 years. My total consumption of all liquor over the past 10 years probably wouldn't top a couple of quarts or liters so I am by no means an expert in this area. I definitely had tried some back in my alcohol-swilling youth though I can not today dredge up a single name for you. I do distinctly recall, however, a marked preference for German beer (and wine - Does England produce any wine of note?) (and women, for that matter - And, come to think of it, why don't we talk about sex anymore? It's all just words, words, words, words, beer, words, words etc.) ...Ah, where was I?

Oh, yes! Just to show you my heart is in the right place, I will endeavor to seek out a Fuller's 1845 in the near future to see what all the hubbub is about. Do you drink it cold, I hope? The only advantage I can see to serving beer warm is that it makes it easier for your body to convert into urine. Back when I drank beer, I especially loved those big frosty mugs you kept in your freeze just for this use. Hell, I'm such an American, I'd even throw in some ice cubes from time to time.

In exchange, I won't ask you to sit through a game at Wrigley Field even though I agree that you might be surprised at how pleasant a day at the park can be. Maybe sometime during your visit with Kalleh & Shufitz you could get them to rent "Rocky Horror Picture Show" for you. I don't think you should leave the states without trying one experience or the other. Or both! Go to Wrigley dressed as Frankie. Now that I would pay to see!

I'll let you know how this Fuller's thing turns out. If I end up in a gutter somewhere with an overpowering thrist for fine British brews, I'm holding you personally responsible.

posted Hide Post
CJ,
See 6-letters, I talked sex ... with someone.

Why don't we plan a reunion next Spring..or Summer... at Wrigley Field... all the Englishmen and Anglophiles and good ole Americans.. and Hawaiians...

Everyone will have to BTOB... bring their own beer... and jerry will have to understand what sport he is watching...

Kalleh, are you up for a visit of sporting and non-sporting friends.... ? We'd have a hotel... don't worry.

I'm with CJ...when I drink beer, I like it cold... I know that bothers the UK people... I wish we wouldn't fight over all this.. we need to allow for cultural differences...

Go Braves!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wish we wouldn't fight over all this.. we need to allow for cultural differences...

Boy, do I agree with you there, though I do regret that I may have caused a few hard feelings myself in that Prognostication thread. Sorry, fellow wordcrafters!

I would so much love to host a wordcraft get-together next spring or summer. I would promise to have plenty of Fuller's 1845, Budweiser, etc., as well as non-alcoholic drinks around. In fact, we could hold a blind-folded beer-tasting! Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I never actually see any (well much) of this as fighting, it's more (to use a sporting simile Wink ) like the non contact versions of US football that kids play in order to practise their skills for the real game. No-one is intended to get hurt in this version, it's all in fun.

Posts: 8627 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several points here worthy of comment:

1. ...(and wine - Does England produce any wine of note?)..."

Yes, we have several hundred vineyards and you can find out about them here http://www.englishwineproducers.com/index.php3
The largest privately owned vineyard in Europe is in Dorking (no, we've already done the Dork jokes). It's about 8 miles from where I live and you can find out all about it here http://www.denbiesvineyard.co.uk/test.htm
Most of our wines are white or sparking, of course, since we lack the sunshine needed for decent reds. Although it's not part of the UK, Jersey is part of the British Isles and is on the exact same latitude as Champagne.

2. "...(and women, for that matter ..."

I was under the impression, CJ, that you thought that Princess Diana was especially attractive. I would remind you that she was definitely English

3. "...Do you drink it cold, I hope? The only advantage I can see to serving beer warm is that it makes it easier for your body to convert into urine...."

There is a great deal of nonsense talked by Americans about "warm English beer". Our beer is no more warm than a salad is warm; it's just not frozen to death. Apart from the rare and special case of mulled ale, we drink our beer cold. Budweiser and other chemical fizz beers are drunk frozen to disguise their foul taste. Let them warm up a bit and you'll soon see how foul they truly are. And they taste foul not because they are warm but because their foulness can then be tasted properly.

Take your Fuller's 1845 from the fridge and pour it carefully into a room-temperature glass, just as you would a fine wine. Do not even think of drinking it from the bottle! Admire the colour and savour the nose. Try a taste of it. then let it warm up a little and taste it again. You will probably find that you prefer it. Keep trying it as it warms up until you find the temperature that suits you best. Depending on the ambient temperature you will probably find that's between 45 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

I would warn you, as I have warned others, that drinking a fine English beer like 1845 will spoil your enjoyment of chemical fizz beers. It will thus destroy for ever the innocent pleasure you presently derive from drinking Budweiser from a can.

3. "...I'm with CJ...when I drink beer, I like it cold... I know that bothers the UK people... I wish we wouldn't fight over all this.. we need to allow for cultural differences......"

The American preference for frozen beer doesn't bother me - just so long as they don't expect me to drink my beer that way. What bothers me more is the (totally incorrect) American assumption that we drink our beer warm. Anyone who has drunk a pint of English draught Real Ale in a good pub will know that it is not warm, it is at EXACTLY the right temperature - around 50 degrees.

4. ...I would so much love to host a wordcraft get-together next spring or summer..."

Are we talking 2004 or 2005? In addition to my visit to Chicago the week after next, I will be in the USA again in November - in Orlando - although that's maybe not the best time to take a side-trip to Chicago.

I have to agree that the USA is a good venue at present with the dollar so weak and transatlantic air fares so low; it would be far more costly for people to come to the UK - even to Olympia in August!

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There is a great deal of nonsense talked by Americans about "warm English beer". Our beer is no more warm than a salad is warm; it's just not frozen to death.

If all of you recall, when I first posted here, I thought the "best of the best" in beers was Harp...and I drank it ice-cold. Then, I listened to the U.K. posters, tried some of their beers, and tried them a little warmer. I can attest to the fact that warmer (Richard is right that it is still cold; it's just not drunk from frozen glasses.) beer somehow brings out the flavor marvelously. There really is a difference, though not with the crummy beers, of course.

BTW, sometime we should talk about beer advertisements. There is an absolutely hysterical one out now on the radio where someone calls 911 in a panic, saying he can't taste his beer. The person taking the call calms him down by saying things like, "Now, put your beer down. Walk away from it. Are you doing as I say? Okay, now walk out the door to your corner store. Buy some Miller Lite." Then of course he does that and begins to taste the beer again. They do a wonderful job, though, making it sound like a real call to 911.

I know, the Miller Lite part ruins it! Roll Eyes