Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Working from home [covid-19 crisis] Part I
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working from home [covid-19 crisis] Part I Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
RE: Working at home, Part I.

Oddly, my husband's work continues apace. Or it feels odd-- but he's an elec engr in the power field [transmissions/ substations expert], an essential industry. He's been technically retired for 1-1/2 yrs [& that was overdue], but always had an affinity for proposal work--much in demand--so he'd found a niche, able to work 2.5 days/wk w/ minimal "face time."

A couple of yrs ago he couldn't wait to retire altogether, but now finds he likes "just working," freed of the pressures of managerial responsibilities & career considerations... The halftime schedule & lack of pressure has allowed him to add a fifth band [while working full-time he took lessons, adding several reed instruments to his repertoire over the last 15 yrs: the 5th band is Earth-Wind-Fire-style, adding to swing, jazz, & 2 concert bands].

I overhear the conference calls: he's something of a guru, able to draw on 45 yrs' experience in the small utility world, knows where bodies are buried, who's got expertise, etc. It's gratifying to see kudos paid to seniority/ experience/ advanced ed...

On the practical side: proposals are generally about big projects out in the future reqd to maintain the grid, so they naturally proceed now, even tho their implementation may be slowed by the covid-19 economic crash... Virtually all of this work can be done online, & in a pinch (since it's an essential industry), you can acquire & print out an authorization ltr that gets you into the [skeleton-crew-operated] bldg to retrieve whatever... Just as all my PreK's were closing, he found himself working close to full time, as several proposal schedules overlapped. And the virus crisis' effect on 401(k) has made him feel comfortable in his ability to keep earning, rather than pressured.

Posts: 2511 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
RE: Working at home. part II.

Once upon a time I was a FT French teacher [levels I-V], & then-- tired of school & interested in my Dad/ Grandad fields of engrg/ construction-- spent a decade in procurement of custom-engineered power eqpt [where I met my husband!]. For 20 yrs my post-mama job [developing/ providing for-lang enrichment [Fr & Span-- in the last decade, all Sp-- to regional PreK/K's] has always been a tiny income supplement. It is an avocation/ paying hobby, & grateful to sugar-daddy breadwinner I could do my thing. But it's in demand & a rare commodity; I'm so far not limited by retirement age, & the income gains importance in the context of soc sec/ pension income/ hubby cutting back to part-time.

As PreK's/K's shut down due to covid-19, all of a sudden my avocation is in demand as an online thing to help parents working at home, to occupy their at-loose-end tots. Looks like this Luddite is going to be dragged into the 21stC. I still have just a flip-phone, an antique iPad that should be rebooted to factory settings [it can't do much], & a laptop I was accustomed to using as a glorified typing/ filing/ research/ image-printing system. In the past week I've learned to record myself on video, & just reading [today] how to edit them into an "online lesson."

Posts: 2511 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
RE: Working at home, part III.
My millennial sons-- performing & teaching instrumental musicians/ audio-techies, w/on-the-side small recording clienteles-- have been skating just short of self-sufficient since graduating college 6-8 yrs ago. It has been a shifting scene, sometimes fully self-supporting, but more often needing either living at home or parental rental assistance. The elder was totally self-sufficient as audio man for a nightclub for a decade, but-- having tired of late hrs working w/ "drunks" [his words] has had a tough time finding enough hrs as a teacher, patching thro w/ delivery gigs. The younger stayed at home while bldg a teaching career, & had just managed 6 mos living on his own when covid-19 hit. The elder had just acquired 2 days'/wk gig [among others] at the same music sch where younger works 4-1/2 days, when virus caused shutdown.

The silver lining for them: the music school serves well-to-do parents who continue to work (online) but now have at-home kids to contend w/, so online instrumental classes appeal. The school already had a baseline online capability developed to deal w/ holidays/ snowdays, & ramped up. They've gotten 90% of students to stay on... remains to be seen how things will go.

posted Hide Post
We all should be so fortunate! Good to hear you're doing well!

Posts: 5709 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We celebrated Passover tonight on FaceTime with our daughter and her family. Strange how things have changed. Spring has sprung and it is desolate around here.

I am anxious to hear how people will be celebrating Easter.

Posts: 24557 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am anxious to hear how people will be celebrating Easter.

See my post re "essential items" in another thread.

(I will celbrate easter the same way I am, today, celebrating my birthday. By sitting in my room being bored and listening to music - currently a tribute to Bill WIthers who died a few days ago.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 8877 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
We celebrated Passover tonight on FaceTime with our daughter and her family. Strange how things have changed.
Not unlike the ancient Hebrews who had to hunker down in their abodes to avoid the plague that started Passover, huh?

BTW, where is everybody??? With all of us staying home except for essentials, we all surely have some free time!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be away so long. Especially after drive-by drop-bombing the ridiculously long posts above [ Red Face]
Just taking me awhile to get into different routines. The self-recorded video lessons take about 2-1/2 days (first part of week). Takes almost as much time for 5 video lessons as 10 IRL ones did before. (The others dropped out). Another time-consuming effort has been to learn how to do videoconferencing. Book club 4/13 was a fiasco on google hangout [no audio; slow-transmission interruptions]. Finally successful w/zoom-- just for 2. A book club friend & I are reading the current selection (Balzac's Cousine Bette) in French, & discussing it 3x a wk. Really enjoying that. Also find the whole food thing takes a lot of time. I'm enjoying doing more cooking, after so many yrs of a commuting marriage, but it takes time. And stocking up for 2-3wks at a time has become quite the chore w/social distancing.

Hope to be checking in more often now.

posted Hide Post
Glad to know you're OK. It is funny how much more busy one can get when there's nothing to do!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Bob, so sorry I missed your birthday! I remember when Bob was in Chicago for a birthday and it was snowing. However, at least we weren't in the middle of a pandemic.

Shu had his birthday April 23rd and we had a family Zoom party. My little granddaughter had her birthday on May 6th, and I saw her, but only social distancing. What times these are.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Shu had his birthday April 23rd
Not the anniversary of his birthday? Damn, that's one looooong gestation! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
BTW, where is everybody? With all of us staying home except for essentials, we all surely have some free time!

I'm still here. My only Internet access is through the library. When the library shut down I had none. I dug up an old laptop (MacBook) someone had given me, but the battery was dead, and I couldn't justify paying $110 and tax for a new battery for a laptop that old. So I finally bit the bullet, broke my piggy bank, and bought a new laptop. I'm still learning how to use it. I can access the library's wi-fi from the parking lot, but I don't know how safe it is. If I order from Amazon, do I risk my credit card being compromised?

Not everyone is sitting at home, Geoff. The post office is considered essential so I'm still working.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Wow, tinman! So glad you managed to communicate to us despite all those obstacles! Welcome! Now I feel silly for complaining about difficulties learning how to do PreK online lessons [hey! I just graduated to uploading video lessons via youtube!]-- & my whinging about learning to do videoconferencing to meet w/ book club & choral groups [finally got some joy via zoom].

What is happening covid-wise in your neck of the woods? Are you sheltering in home w/little outside connections other than masked infrequent grocery sallies like hubby & me [NJ]? Or are you in a region w/litte virus & more flexibility?

posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you, Tinny! There are so few of us left here that every one of us makes a difference, so please post more!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oops just read your message again. The post office is certainly essential work! Thank you tinman. I hope your customers are keeping you safe.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great to see you, Tinny!

I'm still working too - in fact we are busier than ever, though no travel. I do miss the travel a bit.