Wordcraft Community Home Page
Is this gibberish?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/1090072546

March 07, 2012, 16:38
Geoff
Is this gibberish?
I read this in the science section of Google News: Fifteen percent of humans and chimp DNA is closer to that to gorillas than to each other, a new study finds

I can't make heads or tails of what it's trying to tell me. Can anyone???

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
March 07, 2012, 17:01
BobHale
I think it's trying to say that human DNA and Chimp DNA are more closely related to Gorilla DNA than to each other but ham-fisted use of statistics essentially means that the sentence either

a) means this
b) means the opposite
c) means something else entirely
or d) means that the journalist is 15% Chimpanzee which accounts for the writing style.*

*Chimpanzee are notoriously lax when it comes to mathematical rigour.**

** In case you doubt my qualifications to make this assertion let me remind you that I am maths graduate and many of my fellow students were far more than 15% Chimp.***

***At least when judged on their eating habits.****

****Judged on their mating habits they were 100% bonobo.*****

***** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 07, 2012, 18:32
Geoff
That's great stuff, Bob! I didn't need to click the link, as I was already aware of bonobo social structure. I quite like it myself - AND it's matriarchal, so no "sexism" accusations regarding their copulatory proclivities! Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
March 07, 2012, 20:53
Kalleh
Speaking of not making heads or tails of something, we received an article from two nursing faculty members for one of our newsletters today. Our editor and I practically had to rewrite the whole thing, then sent it back to them, and they added a very confusing paragraph that started like this: Confused
quote:
As a board of nursing we value the approach of education and support; lesser the punitive approach.
I loved "lesser the punitive approach."
March 24, 2012, 16:51
Geoff
This from the Muncie, Indiana Craigslist, under farm and garden equipment: "I am selling a rare tin tiller cheap for only $300 or best offer."
It is indeed rare that one tills tin. Not so rare is a rear tine tiller for tilling gardens. Maybe this guy grows pots?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

March 25, 2012, 20:11
Kalleh
Wow...$300 cheap? I suppose it's all relevant, but somehow "cheap" doesn't work for me here.