Wordcraft Community Home Page
Ham-handed challenges

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/1140031566

July 29, 2013, 20:46
Kalleh
Ham-handed challenges
I read an article that mentioned a ball player's "ham-handed challenges" to his team. I hadn't heard the term before, but I am sure many of you have? One definition was "clumsy" or "inept," both of which fit. Apparently "hamfistedness" is chiefly British.

Do you use the phrase?
July 29, 2013, 22:23
arnie
I've only ever come across "ham-fisted" before. It's fairly common here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 30, 2013, 20:19
Kalleh
arnie, does it mean "inept?" I don't see what "ham" has to do with ineptness or clumsiness, I guess.
July 30, 2013, 22:02
BobHale
It's only a guess but I'd guess that it refers to your hands being as big and as manoevreable as a ham.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
August 01, 2013, 01:54
arnie
I agree with Bob. The phrase is rather more recent than I'd imagined, though. According to the Online Etymology Dictionary
quote:
Ham-fisted (1928) was originally in reference to pilots who were heavy on the controls, as was ham-handed (by 1918).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
August 01, 2013, 20:16
Kalleh
We of course use "ham" to denote overacting in theatre, but I've not heard it used as "ham-handed." That origin makes sense, Bob.
August 02, 2013, 05:49
<Proofreader>
I believe ham-handed derives from the duties of Hormel meat packers.