Wordcraft Community Home Page
Dark Origins of Nursery Rhymes

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/2071070181

April 09, 2005, 09:15
wordnerd
Dark Origins of Nursery Rhymes
In another thread, Richard says, And Kalleh gives one example: In the imortal words of Oliver Twist, "Please, sir, can I have some more [examples]?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,
April 09, 2005, 09:29
jheem
Ring around the rosey is supposed to be about death during the bubonic plague.
April 09, 2005, 11:26
Caterwauller
I'd heard about Ring Around the Rosey . . . but not the others. I'm going to do a little book research and get back to this one.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
April 09, 2005, 21:30
Kalleh
Ring around the rosey

Really, jheem? I hadn't known that! How macabre! I am anxious to learn more about these, too.
April 09, 2005, 21:46
neveu
quote:
I'm going to do a little book research and get back to this one.

Start with Iona and Peter Opie. Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment may have been the source of the supposed sexual nature of fairy tales and nursery rhymes.
April 12, 2005, 19:57
Caterwauller
Oh yes, I read Bettelheim years ago. That's something I need to look into again. I got a few books on the topic today, but need to work down the stack of "must reads" a bit to get to them. Don't think this is over yet!

~Dalai Lama
April 13, 2005, 21:03
Kalleh
Hey, I found the perfect site for this thread. How interesting! They actually say 2 lullabies ('Bye, baby bunting' & 'Bye baby bumpkin') were sung in order to intimidate the child and/or to be used as an outlet for the emotions of the parent or nurse.

Some rhymes had political meanings. Humpty in Humpty Dumpty apparently was King Richard III, and 'Baa, Baa, Black Sheep' was said to have been written to protest against an export tax imposed in 1275 in Britain.

I couldn't find validation of this, but I also have heard that 'A Froggie would a-wooing go...'
is allegedly based on the effort of a French minor prince to have a marriage arranged with a popular British princess...and then getting his efforts scornfully rejected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
October 02, 2005, 18:13
Kalleh
Reviving a thread...
I heard an excellent program today on NPR where Chris Roberts, author of Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme, was interviewed. Here is the transcript of the interview, but I couldn't access it from my computer. I hope you can. I believe the author has a new book coming out, again analyzing nursery rhymes, if I heard correctly.
October 03, 2005, 06:48
Cat
I read this recently, which seemed rather apt for this thread.
October 03, 2005, 11:31
arnie
Sorry, wordnerd, I couldn't bear seeing the typo in the thread title any longer, so I've edited it to correct it. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 03, 2005, 21:16
Kalleh
Thanks, Arnie.

Yes, Cat, that is exactly what Roberts was saying. I finally was able to access the transcript, and I was wrong; he was referring to the book that he had written, not about a new one. He says that nursery rhymes are about sex, death and cruelty. Ding dong bell; Pussy in the well of course is about a cat that a boy threw into the well. And Goosey Gander refers to sex. In the 16th and 17th century "goose" meant "prostitute."
October 04, 2005, 17:47
Caterwauller
Cat, I wish I had read that article before taking my son to see that movie! I didn't read up on it, and Simon was really scared! It was very scary in some parts, I think. That's what I get for not doing my research, I guess.

~Dalai Lama
October 05, 2005, 06:07
Seanahan
Which one was the linguist, again? Matt Damon or Heath Ledger?
October 05, 2005, 07:07
zmježd
Well, Heath Ledger played thge character Jake Grimm, and Jakob Grimm is the brother who formulated Grimm's Law about sound change.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 05, 2005, 19:18
Kalleh
quote:
Cat, I wish I had read that article before taking my son to see that movie!

That reminds me of when we took our 14-year-old daughter (the lawyer now) to "The Crying Game." It was billed as a great documentary on the IRA, and we thought it would be a wonderful "learning experience."

Well...it was...only not exactly how we'd thought it would be! Red Face