Wordcraft Community Home Page
Quinion's new book!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/365106985

June 30, 2004, 20:01
wordnerd
Quinion's new book!
You read the thread's title right! Michael Quinion, author of the wonderful World Wide Words website [how's that for alliteration?] is publishing a book.

Tomorrow, Penguin will release 'Port Out, Starboard Home' by Michael Quinion, at £12.99.

US publication will not be until next October. Oh, you Brits are so lucky!
June 30, 2004, 20:39
Kalleh
Why so late for us? I want one!

I often go to World Wide Words, and this may sound rude, but I have always thought he must be able to have a better photo taken!
July 01, 2004, 00:37
Richard English
If you can't get copies from an online supplier, let me know by email or pt and I'll pop into my local bookshop and buy a copy(ies) and postit/them.

Richard English
July 01, 2004, 05:23
Graham Nice
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Why so late for us? I want one!

I often go to World Wide Words, and this may sound rude, but I have always thought he _must_ be able to have a better photo taken!

I thought that the book would be going for the same market as that Eats Shoots and Leaves until I saw the picture. He'll have to have a makeover before getting on any chat shows.
July 01, 2004, 11:42
Kalleh
Big Grin Wink

BTW, I like your new picture, Graham! Cool

Richard, I will PT you, as I would love a copy before October.
July 02, 2004, 08:44
wordcrafter
I alerted Michael Quinion to this thread. Here is his reply:
quote:
[quoting Graham): "I saw the picture. He'll have to have a makeover before getting on any chat shows."

Actually I rather agree. Must get a new pic taken!

July 02, 2004, 11:51
Kalleh
Oh, I am so embarrassed! Red Face I had no idea he'd read it or I would never have posted that. Well, at least he knows we admire the quality of his writing.
July 08, 2004, 10:16
Richard English
For information Port Out, Starbord Home and other language myths is now on sale in the better bookshops in England. I bought a copy for a modest £12.99 and was surprised to note that it is hardback - although published by Penguin.

I've only flicked through it but it looks very interesting.

Richard English
July 08, 2004, 21:29
Kalleh
Oh, I can't wait to buy one! Of all the wonderful word sites, I think my favorite 2 are World Wide Words and Word Detective.
July 09, 2004, 01:25
arnie
quote:
Of all the wonderful word sites, I think my favorite 2 are World Wide Words and Word Detective.
What about Wordcraft? Wink

I agree that both are really entertaining but wish that Evan Morris would update the Word Detective site more frequently, or, at least, more regularly.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 09, 2004, 10:03
Kalleh
What about Wordcraft?

Well, that goes without saying! I am trying to convince wordcrafter to write a book highlighting some of his best themes. He does such an excellent job of selecting great themes, comprehensively defining the word, and using appropriate quotes.
July 18, 2004, 20:52
Kalleh
Richard sent me a copy, and I have received it. Thanks, Richard. It is great! I am so happy to have the English copy. I hadn't known that Quinion does work for the OED, though I should have known, I suppose.
July 19, 2004, 00:29
Richard English
Coincidentally I have just finished reading my copy. There are large numbers of words that he defined in his column but has not included - which leads me to suspect that he is already researching volume 2.

What will he call it I wonder - "Even Posher or Spiffing" - maybe!

Richard English