Wordcraft Community Home Page
w/c

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/3790094096

March 13, 2018, 21:11
Kalleh
w/c
I received an email from a UK colleague, saying, "I have plenty of availability w/c 19th March..."

I had to look up w/c. Do other Americans know what this means, without looking it up?
March 15, 2018, 06:25
goofy
I need more context.
March 15, 2018, 07:18
BobHale
There's certainly enough context there for any Brit to know exactly what is meant, which I think is Kalleh's point.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 15, 2018, 09:18
bethree5
My guess was, Kalleh informed her colleague she'd be touring in the area, & he advised his loo was available if needed. Big Grin
March 15, 2018, 17:51
Geoff
Bethree5, you're back!!! Hooorraaaaaayyyy!!!!!
March 17, 2018, 20:17
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Bethree5, you're back!!! Hooorraaaaaayyyy!!!!!

Big Grin Red Face Razz
March 21, 2018, 19:59
Kalleh
No more context to be had, goofy. I suspect it's not used in Canada, either. Apparently it means "the week commencing."
March 21, 2018, 22:26
BobHale
w/c for "week commencing" is so ubiquitous here that it would never occur to me that Americans might not understand it.

March 22, 2018, 09:21
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
No more context to be had, goofy.

There is always context. This sentence must be part of a conversation. Things were said before it and things were said after it.
March 22, 2018, 18:27
BobHale
As I said above (a few posts ago) for someone British no more context would be needed although I agree there would be more context available.
"w/c" followed by a date couldn't - to me - have any other meaning. "w/e" (which is equally common) followed by a date could - again, to me - only mean "week ending".

March 22, 2018, 20:04
Kalleh
Yes, goofy, there was more to the sentence, but it was that much that should have given it away, as Bob said. Here was the whole sentence: "At the minute I have plenty of availability w/c 19th March if you would like to suggest a date and time." Once I told her I had to look up w/c, to be sure what she meant, she said, "Well, they say you learn something every day and today I learnt that you don’t use w/c in the US," followed by a smiley face.

I do love the language differences.
March 23, 2018, 05:20
<Proofreader>
quote:
w/c" followed by a date couldn't - to me - have any other meaning. "w/e" (which is equally common) followed by a date could - again, to me - only mean "week ending".

But what does the "c" stand for? Commencing? Continuing? Comrade? Colostomy?
March 25, 2018, 19:33
tinman
I thought w/c stood for water-closet, but that didn't make sense in that sentence. Here is a list I found for w/c (https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/W%2fc):
Acronym Definition
W/C With Care
W/C Watercolor (painting)
W/C Working Capital
W/C Wheel Chair
W/C water closet (half bathroom)
W/C Week Commencing
W/C walk-in closet
W/C Wound Care
W/C Water-Cement Ratio (concrete mix design)
W/C With Comment
W/C Tungsten Carbide (Tungsten = Wolfram)
W/C Work Center
W/C Word Choice
W/C Written Correspondence
W/C Workers Compensation policy (insurance)
W/C Week Closing (referring to a date or deadline)
W/C Word Clearing
W/C Wrong Conversation

Note that this list says w/c can mean "week commencing" or "week closing." That's confusing.
March 25, 2018, 19:48
Kalleh
My internet sources said it means week commencing.

I have always used w/c to mean wheelchair.