Wordcraft Community Home Page
Misplaced Mortifier?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/3901085011

December 08, 2004, 05:27
<Asa Lovejoy>
Misplaced Mortifier?
On the Kidsource.com website there's an announcement of a recall by a furniture manufacturer for a TV/VCR stand "...that can tip over after a baby's death." It should tip over BEFORE?
December 08, 2004, 07:21
Kalleh
Big Grin It doesn't even make sense. Rather than a misplaced modifier, I think it is just poorly written! Of course it would tip over before the poor baby's injury (I am going to conclude that we in the nursing/medical profession can save this unfortunate baby!)
August 29, 2019, 17:18
Geoff
Here's one to add to a very old thread: From the Muncie Star Press newspaper: "Formal molesting charges filed against Yorktown nurse" It seems the locals have both formal and casual versions of such perversions. Confused
August 29, 2019, 18:55
Kalleh
Great to see that very old 2004 post, by no other than you! Remember VCRs? It definitely dates us. I do agree with my response - it makes no sense at all. There was a horrible tragedy just yesterday where a 2-year-old got away from her grandmother in a store and pulled a shoe rack down over her, killing her. So sad. One second out of your sight and kids can get into so much trouble.

As for formal versus casual, I suppose they meant they filed charges, rather than just accused them? But I see your point.