Wordcraft Community Home Page
Buggering up Britain

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/409107503

September 14, 2009, 10:34
arnie
Buggering up Britain
Journalist and occasional Wordcrafter Quentin Letts is reissuing the paperback version of his 2008 book 50 People Who Buggered Up Britain with a five additions, "Now with added bankers". Presumably "55 People ..." isn't as catchy a title, or else Quentin can't count.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 14, 2009, 11:45
<Proofreader>
quote:
or else Quentin can't count.

Perhaps he's also an accountant.
October 25, 2009, 23:42
Quentin Letts
Dear Arnie,
1. You are right. I am not good at maths. I once managed to score 4% in an exam. That is, I think it was 4%...
2. If we had renamed it "55 People Who Buggered Up Britain" the publisher would have had to give me a new contract. And you know how generous publishers are.
October 26, 2009, 06:00
<Proofreader>
I always thought "buggered" was not considered a word used in public in Britain. Has that attitude changed or am I misinformed?
October 26, 2009, 06:15
Richard English
In some sectors of society the act, if not the word, is almost obligatory it seems to me.

Richard English
October 26, 2009, 11:39
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I always thought "buggered" was not considered a word used in public in Britain. Has that attitude changed or am I misinformed?

You're misinformed. "It's buggered" would be a relatively mild expletive for "it's broken". The connection with the verb is almost never intended or made.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
October 26, 2009, 12:04
<Proofreader>
quote:
You're misinformed.

Well, I'll be buggered.
October 26, 2009, 23:11
Kalleh
Thanks, Quentin, for weighing in on this.