Wordcraft Community Home Page
Duh!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/4790005996

January 28, 2021, 20:07
Kalleh
Duh!
Miriam Webster's word of the year is - Ta Da...

PANDEMIC

Is anyone surprised?
February 06, 2021, 19:28
Kalleh
Lots of places come out with the word of the year. Are there any interesting ones?

I thought zoom would be one. The word "zoom" has become common enough that people use it generically. Just the other day I suggested a zoom meeting with our Microsoft Teams. I think it has become a word like "jello" or "kleenex."
February 07, 2021, 07:49
Geoff
I've no idea what "zoom" means other than a rapid passing or an increase in magnification on cameras.

Do you remember what the term is for generalizing a brand name as per your two examples? I knew it once, but have forgotten.
February 07, 2021, 18:25
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
I've no idea what "zoom" means.

Well that’s a pity Geoff because you are one of the people I was going to invite next month to a poetry event where I will be performing. But it’s taking place on Zoom so I guess I won’t be seeing you there.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
February 08, 2021, 20:02
Kalleh
I read an article that Miriam Webster added 520 new words this year. I didn't think about it, but "second gentleman" is one. COVID-19 was added in a record 34 days. Interestingly "long hauler" had a new definition added: "A person who experiences one or more long-term effects following initial improvement or recovery from a serious illness (such as COVID-19)."
February 08, 2021, 22:09
BobHale
I did see the other day that "whatevs" is now in the OED.

February 24, 2021, 19:43
Kalleh
Whatevs? Is that a UK term, or have I just not heard it before.
February 25, 2021, 01:27
BobHale
It’s “whatever” said rudely to
mean “I don’t care”

March 01, 2021, 20:06
Kalleh
I figured it must be something like that.
March 27, 2021, 12:01
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
It’s “whatever” said rudely to
mean “I don’t care”
Oh yeh, that one's been around in the NYC area for a long long time. Pronounced 'whatevah'. Gosh, "Whatever." is even ruder than the title of this thread! "I don't care" is a shade politer than "you're stupid." Big Grin
March 29, 2021, 20:18
Kalleh
Ah, well, those New Yorkers are quite the pronunciators,,,