Wordcraft Community Home Page
Say what???

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/6691031164

May 10, 2007, 21:09
<Asa Lovejoy>
Say what???
Since I can't resist a bit of wordplay, I lifted this from the SFGate website: De Cecco ... edits the Journal of Homosexuality, an academic peer-review journal that comes out eight times per year;

So, coming out once is not enough!?!? Roll Eyes
May 11, 2007, 04:18
wordmatic
At least it doesn't out other publications against their wishes!

Wordmatic
May 11, 2007, 04:28
arnie
Maybe it's an exhibitionist?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 10, 2007, 20:30
<Asa Lovejoy>
Another wacky SF Gate quote, this time a photo caption: Successful blastoff: The Russian Soyuz TMA-11 space ship, carrying American Peggy Whitson, Malasyan Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor and Russian Yuri Malenchenko, soars over Kazakhstan on its way to inseminate the international space station with new blood.

A bloody insemination? OWWWWWW!!! Red Face
October 10, 2007, 20:55
jerry thomas
It says here: Insemination can breed egg-citing outcomes.
October 10, 2007, 20:56
Kalleh
Not to get off the subject, but eight times a year? I've heard of biannually, and 4 times a year, but 8 times a year? I've just not heard of that. When do the issues come out? September through April?

Also, I couldn't find a word for 4 times a year (quadrennial means every 4 years) or 3 times a year (triennial means every 3 years). Many journals come out 4 times a year so you'd think there'd be a word for it.
October 10, 2007, 21:02
jerry thomas
Bi-Quarterly ?
October 10, 2007, 22:21
<Asa Lovejoy>
Jerry, did you learn that in a SEMENar?
October 10, 2007, 22:23
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Many journals come out 4 times a year so you'd think there'd be a word for it.

Quardramensural? Confused
October 10, 2007, 22:55
jerry thomas
The R & D Department is hard at work doing seminal research on the forthcoming uprisings down south. One climactic conclusion has been published already ..... "Compatibility is coming together." Vast differences are being exposed.
October 11, 2007, 11:09
arnie
quote:
I couldn't find a word for 4 times a year
It's quarterly.

The Royal Statistical Society publishes its newsletter ten times a year, missing out July and August when many members are on holiday. Perhaps readers of the Journal of Homosexuality take longer holidays?

Note: holiday = vacation in US-speak. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 11, 2007, 17:14
tinman
Triannual means three times a year. Note that triannual can also mean trienniel. Go figure.
October 11, 2007, 21:45
Kalleh
Oh, for heaven's sake, I must have been tired, Arnie, when I said there's no word for 4 times a year. I write a column for a quarterly journal! Sometimes it's best not to get up in the morning. Wink