Wordcraft Community Home Page
Evolution of language

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/7071082894

October 10, 2007, 20:02
neveu
Evolution of language
Interesting article on the future evolution of English.
October 10, 2007, 20:16
<Asa Lovejoy>
So, essentially they're saying WRT irregular verb past tenses, "Use it or lose it?"
October 10, 2007, 21:04
Kalleh
It's interesting to see a mathematical model applied to language.
October 11, 2007, 07:32
goofy
quote:
words -- specifically, irregular verbs that do not take an "-ed" ending in the past tense -- are subject to powerful pressure to "regularize" as the language develops.

I don't think this is anything we didn't already know. But it's interesting to see it quantified like this. Radioactive verbs!
October 11, 2007, 07:44
zmježd
One thing I'd like to add is that today's irregular verbs were oftentimes yesterday's regular ones. Germanic strong verbs, e.g., English sing, sang, sung, didn't start out as irregular, but seem that way after the phonological process by which they became differentiated became less productive. There are even some cases of regular verbs being reanalyzed as irregular, e.g., dive, dived[/i] ~ dove.

It's interesting how the urge to regularize is often chastened. Suppletive forms like good, better ~ *gooder, or go, went ~ *goed. But not lesser; less was the original comparative form of little.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 11, 2007, 10:01
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
One thing I'd like to add is that today's irregular verbs were oftentimes yesterday's regular ones. Germanic strong verbs, e.g., English sing, sang, sung, didn't start out as irregular, but seem that way after the phonological process by which they became differentiated became less productive.

I didn't know this! The regular ablaut differences in PIE were continued into Proto-Germanic, where they became the main markers of grammatical distinctions. I could be wrong, but I gather that the PIE forms *sengʷh-, *songʷh- and *sn̥gʷh- (e-grade, o-grade, and zero-grade respectively), which formed a regular paradigm, became English sing, sang, sung. Other sound changes have obscured the regularity, and also ablaut ceased to be productive in Proto-Germanic. Another example is eat, ate, eaten.
October 11, 2007, 11:14
arnie
I understand that the verb "to shit" is perfectly regular (if you'll excuse the phrase) but many people nowadays use "shat" instead of "shitted"; it somehow seems more right.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 11, 2007, 13:09
<Asa Lovejoy>
"Shat," which rhymes with the French word for "cat." Any connection? As you know, when the cat's away, the house smells better!
October 11, 2007, 17:50
Seanahan
quote:
So, essentially they're saying WRT irregular verb past tenses, "Use it or lose it?"

This is mostly true of verbs today. Do you know what the word "wrought" comes from? Stephen Pinker talked about this in depth in "Words and Rules".
October 12, 2007, 01:15
Myth Jellies
Didn't wrought and wright come from the same root meaning work?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp
October 12, 2007, 05:26
zmježd
Do you know what the word "wrought" comes from?

Wrought is from the past participle of work :- Old English wyrcan ~ gewroht, related to Greek εργον (ergon). Example usage being: What had God wrought?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.