Wordcraft Community Home Page
How the English language became such a mess

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/8790042876

June 11, 2015, 01:16
arnie
How the English language became such a mess
quote:
Greed started the problem of our language and laziness entrenched it, but snobbishness lionizes it. The history of English is a tale of vice… and that is a word, by the way, that we got from the French – even if we can’t blame them for the vices themselves.

According to this BBC article, anyway.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 13, 2015, 14:43
WeeWilly
quote:
even if we can’t blame them for the vices themselves.
... of course we can.

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame
June 21, 2015, 05:26
Kalleh
For some reason, I can't pull up the article.
June 21, 2015, 10:43
<Proofreader>
quote:
For some reason, I can't pull up the article.

Works for me, and I use a Commodore 64.
June 22, 2015, 04:55
Kalleh
I finally did pull it up, and I loved it. Great link, arnie.

You don't use a Commodore 64, right? (I am pretty gullible.) That was our first computer. I remember, before Word Perfect or Word, Shu found a word processing program in a magazine and typed it in so that we could word process. There were kinks, though. You had to type c and then /c for underlines, for example. Heaven forbid if you forgot the /c in a long document, which I did with my dissertation once. The entire draft was underlined.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
June 22, 2015, 05:15
<Proofreader>
Not a Commodore but I did build one when they first came out from parts. Took a week and it would only generate square roots.
June 23, 2015, 11:08
Geoff
I'm ready to go back to my Coleco Adam.

The cognitive rehab program I had to work through after having had my brains knocked out only worked on a Commodore 64 at first, but after shit-for-brains Geoff got through with it it was a Commode 64.
June 23, 2015, 18:32
BobHale
Sinclair ZX81. A massive 1k of RAM. Plugged into the TV as a monitor. Screen went blank while processing. Ah, those were the days.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 24, 2015, 03:15
arnie
I was perhaps a later adopter. My first computer was an IBM PC clone running Windows 3.1. Slightly earlier we'd been supplied at work with IBM PS/2s running PC-DOS.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 28, 2015, 21:24
Kalleh
We were early adopters, but rather late ones now. There's always something new and it's hard to keep up - even with the terminology.