Wordcraft Community Home Page
Musings about a headline

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/9761058635

May 05, 2008, 15:05
BobHale
Musings about a headline
The headline on a story about three teenagers who kicked an elderly man to death to steal his mobile phone was

BRAINLESS MINDLESS THUGS

It seems from the article that this phrase was actually used by the judge in his summing up and sentencing.

It occurred to me though that the words are either meant literally or figuratively. If they are meant literally then they are clearly nonsense as the former couldn't could possibly be true and the latter is highly unlikely unless the thugs in question have suffered extreme brain damage.

If on the other hand they are meant figuratively (as is almost certainly the case) then surely they have exactly the same meaning and present us with a tautology.

Can anyone think of a justification for the expression?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
May 06, 2008, 11:54
arnie
I'd say it's used for emphasis.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 06, 2008, 12:47
Kalleh
Before I read arnie's answer, that's what I was thinking, too, Bob.
May 06, 2008, 12:56
jerry thomas
Alert readers notice that the headline reveals the Judge's failed attempt to produce appropriate pejoratives. "Cruel" and "Vicious" would more accurately describe the scoundrels.

ROBBERY RENDERS VICTIM LIFELESS / PHONELESS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,
May 06, 2008, 13:24
BobHale
Indeed it is, but it remains nevertheless a great big, huge, gigantic, enormous, massive, gargantuan tautolgy.

Doesn't it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
May 10, 2008, 06:36
<Asa Lovejoy>
That it does. Calling them solipsitic antisocial scoundrels might sound better.