Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick Game: Gotham

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/1110086076

April 09, 2014, 05:47
BobHale
Limerick Game: Gotham
Whether you choose the fictional Gotham of Batman or the real village of Gotham in Nottinghamshire is entirely up to you.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 09, 2014, 07:26
Geoff
The major difference between your Gotham and ours is that yours had wise men acting like fools.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,
April 11, 2014, 20:39
Greg S
I'm thinking this one makes Trinidad seem like a piece of cake.

Regards Greg
April 12, 2014, 04:41
Geoff
How many have you so far? I'll confess I'm struggling to find anything close to a rhyme.
April 12, 2014, 18:49
BobHale
Well, if I don't get some entries soon, I'll be declaring the one I have as the winner.

Would you all like me to choose a new place or just accept near rhymes? I admit it's harder than I first thought it would be. I could only come up with "trick" limericks myself.

The Batman fighth crime down in Gotham
Catcheth villainth ath he cometh acroth 'em
Itth a little know fact
When he thtarted thith act
At firtht he wath called "The Oppothum".

I think this one is just too hard so let's allow "Gotham City" and "Gotham Town" as variants (depending on which Gotham you mean) and you only need to rhyme 'City' or "Town".

April 12, 2014, 20:54
Kalleh
quote:
I'm thinking this one makes Trinidad seem like a piece of cake.
I agree, Greg!

I'll write one tonight, but I am 100% sure that Greg won't agree with my rhymes. Wink
April 12, 2014, 23:32
BobHale
Well now I've opened it up a bit with Gotham City or Gotham Town...

At the moment you have a fifty percent chance of winning.

April 13, 2014, 10:03
Tom
On a quest three wisemen together had,
An adventure to voyage to Trinidad
They departed from Gotham
The trip there was awe-thome
But returned missing all of their Go-ninads

Okay, not great, but had to share anyway. I mean we had to transition from Trinidad to Gotham amyway. Big Grin
April 13, 2014, 15:56
Geoff
My post above was a ruse to throw people off. I had submitted one under the original terms on the 9th. Since it's no longer valid, here it is:

Once on my way into Gotham,
To visit my chum, Higgenbotham,
I espied Quentin Crisp
As he spoke with a lisp,
It'th hard finding rhymeth for "opothum."

Now you know where Bob got ""opothum!" Big Grin
April 13, 2014, 16:08
Tom
The one I submitted was also on the older terms for "Gotham". If that is no longer valid, I'll retract it. I don't know that it was all that good anyway.
April 13, 2014, 17:15
Geoff
Now I have to think again, and it makes my head hurt! AAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!! Frown
April 13, 2014, 18:00
Greg S
quote:
I think this one is just too hard so let's allow "Gotham City" and "Gotham Town" as variants (depending on which Gotham you mean) and you only need to rhyme 'City' or "Town".

My reading of this is that Gotham is still allowed, so no need to think again.

Regards Greg
April 15, 2014, 03:55
Geoff
I guess I should have stuck with my original; I'm having NO luck writing a new one!
April 15, 2014, 20:40
Kalleh
Geoff, anything goes here so no worries. This is not OEDILF. Our goal is to have fun - certainly not perfection.
April 17, 2014, 11:50
Tom
Mr Hale,
How are the entries coming? Have you gotten any more?

Just curious. Haven't heard from you for a few days.
April 18, 2014, 21:11
Kalleh
Yeah - we're getting impatient (looking for the impatient emoticon...)
April 18, 2014, 22:35
BobHale
At the moment I only have five - six if Geoff wants to reinstate his withdrawn one. I'd like a few more... don't forget I'm accepting Gotham City and Gotham Town too.

April 19, 2014, 06:47
Tom
I'm open to however you want to handle it. It is just a fun game, after-all, and I don't see strict rules needing to apply. I like the entrants being random, but I would not have a problem if Geoff wanted his entered into the contest. I doubt it would sway votes even if every knows who did it.

It might help if the regular players were to PM you if they have given up on writing a (or "another" as the case may be) limerick or if they still have one coming.

I am probably not going to write anything else, but if I do, I'll get it to you.

tom
April 20, 2014, 19:22
Kalleh
I know I'm not going to write any more - I am fine with 5 or 6. Heck, that gives me more of a chance of winning. Wink
April 21, 2014, 05:20
bethree5
You've got every 'rhyme' I could come up with Smile
April 21, 2014, 10:27
Kalleh
I know. I had already decided on one of my rhymes before someone used it here. I went with it anyway, but it looks like I copied someone else. That's okay, though, because mine is not a winner. It's not that I didn't try; it's just that I couldn't....
April 21, 2014, 17:37
BobHale
Having some computer issues - may be a few days before I get back to this. Sorry about the delay.

April 21, 2014, 20:35
Kalleh
No problem. Perhaps it will bring a few more.
April 22, 2014, 04:44
arnie
quote:
I had already decided on one of my rhymes before someone used it here.

In an attempt to prevent that happening again (or the opposite), how about introducing a rule that no-one should post any limericks in the open thread until after the winner is declared?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
April 23, 2014, 20:21
Kalleh
Great idea, arnie! Particularly with hard-to-rhyme words, it can be tough when all the good rhymes are taken in the discussion about the word. Let's wait until after the vote before posting any limericks.
April 24, 2014, 07:19
Tom
I would hope that no one will use the fact that you used the same rhyme someone else posted, against you in their vote. But I certainly see why you would want to request that no one post related limericks until the vote.
April 25, 2014, 01:04
BobHale
Last call for Gotham.

Limericks will be posted tomorrow

April 25, 2014, 20:47
Kalleh
quote:
I would hope that no one will use the fact that you used the same rhyme someone else posted, against you in their vote.
Perhaps they don't even realize it, but I think people do consider that. They like to see a fresh and fun rhyme.