Wordcraft Community Home Page
Orem Poll

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/2980095107

April 05, 2022, 11:13
Geoff
Orem Poll
1 City Councillors governing Orem<BR>Were unable to muster a quorum.<BR>And the Orders? They tried,<BR>But they couldn't decide<BR>To abstain, vote agin' 'em or for 'em.<BR><BR>2 A thrifty old fellow of Orem<BR>Bought poorly made pants and he tore 'em<BR>They ripped at the seam<BR>And out in a stream<BR>Fell his money and his decorum<BR><BR>3 A signmaker living in Orem<BR>Made a winemaker's label say Lorem<BR>Ipsum... where you should see<BR>How the wine came to be.<BR>An unfortunate lack of decorum.*<BR><BR>* Lorem Ipsum is a pseudo-Latin text used by graphics folks to determine the best font for the job<BR><BR>4 If you’re getting quite angry in Orem<BR>And things make you mad, don’t ignore em<BR>You must make sure you’re heard<BR>Don’t whisper your words<BR>Don’t mutter or mumble, just roar ‘em<BR><BR>5 Some say in the city of Orem<BR>There are places of interest; explore ‘em<BR>But some say they’re wrong<BR>And it didn’t take long<BR>For the city of Orem to bore ‘em<BR><BR>6 The elders all gathered in Orem<BR>To vote on the things put before ‘em<BR>Though there was no division<BR>They still reached no decision<BR>As also there wasn’t a quorum<BR><BR>7 A disgraceful old roué of Orem<BR>Who lacked any grace or decorum<BR>Would belch and he’d fart<BR>But what set him apart<BR>Was he’d stand up, applaud ‘em and score ‘em.<BR><BR>8 A linguistics pedant in Orem<BR>Didn’t care for the plural of forum<BR>With a satisfied aura<BR>He’d state “It is fora”<BR>“Not forums!”. And that’s how he’d bore ‘em.<BR><BR>9 My friend at a forum in Orem<BR>Was sure that the speakers would bore 'em.<BR>So he danced on the tables<BR>And sang lots of fables -<BR>And yelled out to all, "I Abhor 'em!"Which is the pick of the litter? Or are they all just litter? Or al great litter-ature?123456789
April 05, 2022, 19:32
BobHale
I would have voted for 2 but the metre is off in line 5. All it needs is an "all" in front of "his decorum" and it would have got my vote. On the other hand I would genuinely have chosen a particular one of my own but I'd never do that.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 05, 2022, 19:33
BobHale
And congratulations Geoff on your first successfully created poll! Big Grin

April 06, 2022, 04:59
Geoff
Thanks to you, Bob!
April 08, 2022, 01:31
BobHale
Well if no one else is going to vote I might just switch my vote to one of my own.

April 08, 2022, 07:39
Geoff
This is ridiculous! Nobody but Bob votes. OK, Bob, since you voted forone of Haberdasher's, get in touch with him, flip a coin, and see who goes next. I'm done with it.
April 08, 2022, 19:35
BobHale
As I said geoff, if nobody else votes I'm changing my vote to vote for myself.

April 10, 2022, 12:29
haberdasher
"Truth is Stranger than Fiction" Department -

Regarding Limerick #3: here's the offending label!
April 10, 2022, 13:32
haberdasher
- 1 - and - 6 - appear to differ only by their location with respect to the Atlantic Ocean...
April 10, 2022, 18:20
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
"Truth is Stranger than Fiction" Department -

Regarding Limerick #3: here's the offending label!

Interestingly I have seen the Lorem Ipsum text on things over here where it definitely doesn't belong. In the ingredients list on products, on a poster for a health service on a bus and on the box that an apple that was given to me by a student came in. ( if you wonder why the apple would be in a box...)

April 10, 2022, 18:23
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
- 1 - and - 6 - appear to differ only by their location with respect to the Atlantic Ocean...

I suppose that once the "quorum" rhyme occurs to someone there aren't many directions the limerick can go in.

April 12, 2022, 20:19
BobHale
It's been a week now and still only two votes. I have to admit, I share Geoff's frustration.

April 13, 2022, 19:34
Kalleh
Gosh, I love them all. Great job, everyone. I do agree, Bob, about #2; it was great, but the meter in line 5 was a bit off.
April 13, 2022, 19:35
Kalleh
BTW, there are 4 of us talking here so there should be at least 4 votes. Remember, everyone can vote.
April 19, 2022, 18:41
Kalleh
Well we have 4 now at least. It looks like #1 won - quorum; agin' 'em or for 'em. I like it!

Let's not do the poll next time. Sorry I brought it up.
April 19, 2022, 19:56
BobHale
My favourite was really my own number 7. I am sure that in the days when we had a lot of participants I would have got some votes there.

April 26, 2022, 10:33
bethree5
Sincere apologies for having once more dropped off the map. Promise to become regular again!!

I didn' know whethr polls had closed so I didn't mark my vote above. Hands down for me: #7!! Belly laughed.
April 26, 2022, 12:12
haberdasher
So Bob, when all is said and done you have two votes too. "Ties pay the Dealer" (that's what I tell my Attorney from Devon, anyway) so why don't you pick the next destination.
April 26, 2022, 17:56
BobHale
Number 1 has it, whoever that was because I only win by switching my vote from 1 (which isn't me) to 7 (which is) and that, forgive the analogy, seems a rather Trumpian or Johnsonian way to go about things.

April 26, 2022, 18:02
BobHale
Interestingly I was once on a contract in Cornwall (in the days when I worked with computers rather than teaching) and one of my colleagues had farts that could clear a crowded pub in under a minute. He would actually congratulate himself and give them a score out of ten. He was, as far as I know, neither from Orem nor a disgraceful old roué.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

April 27, 2022, 04:48
Geoff
#1 was Haberdasher's. If he says you won, Bob, you won.
April 27, 2022, 13:28
Geoff
1 and 3 were Haberdasher's. Kudos for originality with #3

#2 was mine

4 through 8 were Bob's

9 was Kalleh's.