Wordcraft Community Home Page
Bluffing game - nippitatum

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/488107963

November 05, 2009, 21:26
Kalleh
Bluffing game - nippitatum
Our next bluffing game word is nippitatum. Please send me, by PM, your outrageous daffynitions!
November 06, 2009, 19:46
Kalleh
I've received two daffynitions. I need more!
November 09, 2009, 11:44
Kalleh
Please don't forget about nippitatum. I only have 3 entries so far!
November 09, 2009, 19:07
<Proofreader>
I have sent one.
November 10, 2009, 15:55
<Proofreader>
Let's keep this on top until Kalleh says she's overwhelmed with daffynitions.
November 10, 2009, 20:11
Kalleh
Oh, she's not. I'd love a few more!
November 12, 2009, 19:31
Kalleh
A few more, please????

I'll post the daffynitions this weekend.
November 14, 2009, 20:38
Kalleh
I just got 2 more. I will post the daffys (and the real thing!) tomorrow...so if you haven't submitted one, you can still get in under the wire!
November 15, 2009, 21:08
Kalleh
Time to select the real definition for nippitatum:

1 - An exceptionally strong beer.

2 - A room for the use of restaurant staff, originally just for waitresses.

3 - A directive not to trade with the Japanese.

4 - A hooded garment used for infants, particularly in Alaska and Canada.

5 - Medical term for the sensation of being nipped by tiny insects, caused by decreasing estrogen levels in some pre-menopausal women.

6 - Japanese floral arrangements.

7 - A frieze depicting life in northern Japan, especially the Ainu of the Hokkaido area, usually in the 13th and 14th Centuries.

8 - A rarely-used orthographic symbol found primarily in Druidic manuscripts.

9 - A Victorian dice and cups game involving guessing the total of a set of dice in which some are visible and some covered.

10 - A cutting from a fruit tree used for grafting purposes.

11 - Stress points related to brassiere manufacture.

12 - A Japanese stride piano player.

If I've forgotten someone, I apologize!
November 15, 2009, 22:34
wordmatic
Taking a wild stab--I'll pick #11.

Wordmatic
November 16, 2009, 01:37
BobHale
None of them sound very likely to me. I refuse to choose anything involving Japan so I'll take 10.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
November 16, 2009, 07:15
<Proofreader>
I'll take number two. Excuse me while I close th door and visit.
November 17, 2009, 05:37
bethree5
Gee I always thought a nippitatum was the vegetable that results when you don't get a chance to nip it in the bud

ha ha

I'll have #9 pls.
November 17, 2009, 11:29
arnie
No. 1 for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 17, 2009, 14:30
haberdasher
Mmm.

Don't really like any of 'em.

Let's break it down:
-- variants of nip - nipper, nip of EtOH, snip off - that eliminates 1, 2, 4, 5, 10
-- variants of Nippon/Japan - that eliminates 3, 6, 7, 12
-- too silly to take seriously - 9, 11

Well. That makes it easier. By a simple process of rationalization, that leaves only # 8.

Who'da thunk it? Druidic symbols described in Latin!
November 17, 2009, 15:31
BobHale
So, arnie wants an exceptionally strong beer. Can't say I blame him.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
November 18, 2009, 01:19
stella
I think somebody should pick #5, so it might as well be me.
November 18, 2009, 10:23
Kalleh
Okay lurkers, we need to hear from you! Which is the real definition in this wonderful array of daffys?
November 19, 2009, 20:21
Kalleh
How's about a few more selections???

I'll post the answers tomorrow evening.
November 20, 2009, 21:05
Kalleh
Here we go, folks:

1 - An exceptionally strong beer. actual definition, and I should have known arnie would get it right. Roll Eyes

2 - A room for the use of restaurant staff, originally just for waitresses. arnie bluffed proof...I wondered about the poor waiters!

3 - A directive not to trade with the Japanese.Stella's, but no takers

4 - A hooded garment used for infants, particularly in Alaska and Canada.Ah, poor me!

5 - Medical term for the sensation of being nipped by tiny insects, caused by decreasing estrogen levels in some pre-menopausal women.my personal favorite; WM bluffed our Stella

6 - Japanese floral arrangements.Proof's Japanese one fooled no one

7 - A frieze depicting life in northern Japan, especially the Ainu of the Hokkaido area, usually in the 13th and 14th Centuries.Hab didn't fool anyone, but I don't know why with this beauty

8 - A rarely-used orthographic symbol found primarily in Druidic manuscripts.Proof fooled Hab with this doozy

9 - A Victorian dice and cups game involving guessing the total of a set of dice in which some are visible and some covered.Bob bluffed bethree with this one

10 - A cutting from a fruit tree used for grafting purposes.Our mysterious reader bluffed Bob

11 - Stress points related to brassiere manufacture. Who else? Proof submitted this one and fooled Wordmatic

12 - A Japanese stride piano player.This Japanese one was submitted by RE, but he fooled no one. Where is your guess, Richard? I thought you'd get this one!
November 21, 2009, 01:27
Richard English
quote:
Where is your guess, Richard? I thought you'd get this one!

I intended to suggest number 12, but didn't get around to it.

Richard English
November 21, 2009, 03:17
arnie
quote:
A room for the use of restaurant staff, originally just for waitresses. arnie bluffed proof...I wondered about the poor waiters!

I need to explain about what used to be a British institution which provided my inspiration.

Just before and after the last war there was a chain of tea shops known as Lyons'. The waitresses there tended to be very efficient and agile in squeezing between the tables, and received the nickname "nippies". I don't know if there were any waiters; quite likely not as there were no equal opportunity laws at the time.

I envisaged a nippitatum as a sort of staff room for Lyons' waitresses. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 21, 2009, 20:21
Kalleh
So did you know what nippitatum meant, or was it a good guess? I figured at least one of the British posters would get it. Wink
November 22, 2009, 00:04
arnie
I had come across it before, although I don't know where. If I'd been asked the meaning without benefit of the daffynitions I'd have had no idea.