Wordcraft Community Home Page
Tunis/Tunesia vote

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/4940006816

March 16, 2011, 19:50
shufitz
Tunis/Tunesia vote
Excellent, creative rhyming, and a goodly dollop of naughtiness. Well done, people! Cast your votes.<OL TYPE=1><LI>If by chance you should visit Tunisia<BR>You might opt for some good anesthesia.<BR>And if your body flirts<BR>With a case of the squirts,<BR>Best you bring a whole case of Magnesia.<BR><BR><LI>There once was a woman named Eunice,<BR>An Arab...and true opportunist.<BR>She'd dress up all chic<BR>And vamp every Sheik,<BR>Becoming the sex Queen of Tunis!<BR><BR><LI> A purveyor of drinks from Tunisia<BR>Found his customers wanted them fizzier.<BR>So he laced all his brews<BR>With some illicit booze -<BR>Now he's finding that trade is much busier.<BR><BR><LI> The hot sandstorms that blanket Tunisia<BR>Follow cold nights quite likely to freeze ya.<BR>Their harissa’s hot burn<BR>Causes stomachs to churn,<BR>And the women are not apt to please ya.<BR><BR><LI> Said the careless young girl from Tunisia,<BR>"I fear I've been rather remiss here.<BR>Now we've had it away,<BR>I ought just to say,<BR>I expected us only to kiss here."<BR><BR><LI> Ulysses was raised in Tunisia<BR>And over time the young man grew sissier.<BR>He went under the knife<BR>For a new lease on life -<BR>And now she is known as Ulyssia!<BR><BR><LI> A callow young youth from Tunisia<BR>Asked his girl, "Please tell me, what's this here?"<BR>Said she, "I'll be kind<BR>And you'll surely find<BR>It'll give you a state of pure bliss here".<BR><BR><LI> A Berberic bawd name o’ Yoo-nis<BR>Was a fave of Phoenicians in Tew-nis<BR>On the docks in the Babel<BR>She’d hand out her tabble<BR>Inscribed with the price of her queue-nis.</OL>12345678
March 17, 2011, 00:17
Guy Barry
It seems as though there are almost as many different pronunciations of "Tunisia" as competitors! Makes it a bit hard to judge.

Maybe we should have stuck with "Tunis" after all Smile
March 17, 2011, 03:24
BobHale
I don't think the different pronunciations matter. They just make the whole thing more creative. One of the most creative we've had.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 18, 2011, 19:35
Kalleh
Agreed, Bob. It was creative and made me realize that I go for easy rhyming too much. Plus, I think it is great that so many different people got votes!
March 21, 2011, 20:24
shufitz
Well done, my friends. The authors are
We have a tie between ##6 and 8, so I get to be the tiebreaker. I laughed out loud when I saw the last rhyme of #6, and I have a bias in favor of all things Australian. Besides, Australia must have scads of great place names.

So Greg, could you do the honors for the next round?
March 21, 2011, 20:43
Kalleh
Bob didn't have one? That's odd.

Bethree, it is great to see you here again!

Congrats to you, Greg! I got zero votes, but who's counting? Wink
March 21, 2011, 23:56
Greg S
I'm glad I made you laugh, Shu. That's about the best compliment anyone can give a limerick.

I will Post a new game shortly.

Regards Greg
March 22, 2011, 03:46
Guy Barry
I would have voted for Greg's had it not been for a technicality; the second line doesn't scan. "Over time the young fellow grew sissier" would have been better, I think. However I agree that it was the funniest!

I was genuinely surprised by the variety of pronunciations on offer. Even after checking the online dictionaries I'm not sure what the standard pronunciation is: it seems to be (roughly) too-NEE-zhuh in the US and tyoo-NIZZ-ee-uh in the UK, but there seem to be plenty of variants on both sides of the Atlantic (not to mention Australia!). Both Richard's and Greg's entries used something close to tyoo-NISS-ee-uh, which is slightly different from the way I say it.

Looking forward to Greg's game!
March 23, 2011, 04:12
Greg S
New game has been posted.

Regards Greg
March 26, 2011, 07:05
bethree5
A postscript from the loser: I too voted for Greg's (tho I agree w/Guy, the 2nd-line 'and' should come out). Thought at first it didn't rhyme til I re-read it w/a gecko accent Wink