Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick Poll: Japan

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/6060013176

May 11, 2014, 21:06
Kalleh
Limerick Poll: Japan
Please vote for your favorite limerick.1. Kurosawa, director of Ran<BR>Set King Lear in ancient Japan.<BR>Jealousy and deceit,<BR>Led to all a defeat,<BR>When the Shogun was not a wise man.<BR><BR>2. April in Kawasaki, Japan<BR>Where they worship the essence of man -<BR>Some wood, some metallic,<BR>But all of them phallic,<BR>And penile pop-sticks in the van.<BR><BR>3. I met a tan man in Japan;<BR>We made out on a brand new divan.<BR>I had a grand plan, <BR>But before we began,<BR>My Stan fled away to Spokane!<BR><BR>4. There once was a man from Japan<BR>Who so feared his member lacked span<BR>When taking a shower<BR>He’d hide his male power<BR>Beneath a black Samurai fan.<BR><BR>5. There was a young man of Japan <BR>Said to the doctor: “I need a brain scan, <BR>I can’t take a crap <BR>'Lest I have a nap.” <BR>But the doc just gave him some bran.<BR><BR>6. A pop star who came from Japan<BR>Was taking a dump in the can<BR>When a knock at the door<BR>Interrupted the chore<BR>And that's when the shit hit the fan.<BR><BR>7. There was a young man of Japan<BR>Who dieted solely on bran<BR>Spent all day on the loo<BR>When they asked, “Are you through?”<BR>Said, “I'm being as quick as I can.”1.2.3.4.5.6.7.
May 12, 2014, 21:08
Kalleh
How's about a few more votes? There are some good ones here - and three about gastrointestinal issues. It must be that "bran" rhyme. Roll Eyes
May 13, 2014, 04:10
arnie
There is of course that famous limerick by the prolific poet Anonymous:

There was a young man of Japan
Whose limericks never would scan.
When asked why this was,
He replied "It's because
I always try to fit as many syllables into the last line as ever I possibly can."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 13, 2014, 10:15
Kalleh
Hmmm, we seem to have a 3-way tie going on. Do we have a 7th voter?
May 13, 2014, 10:52
Geoff
If voter #7 shows up, perhaps said voter will vote for # 2,, 3, or 7? Roll Eyes
May 13, 2014, 10:55
arnie
Or 5.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 13, 2014, 12:10
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Or 5.

As I've said many times before, I get totally tangle-eyed when viewing this goofy poll. I missed #5, thinking it was #6. Thank you for catching my error.

Tangle-eyed Geoff
May 13, 2014, 13:18
<Proofreader>
Sailed away in a catamaran
From a port in the Sea of Japan.
But I ran out of luck
When the rudder got stuck
And I circled back where I began.

Sorry not to have entered but I'm not quite up to par lately.
May 13, 2014, 16:10
Geoff
I woulda voted for it, Proof. I was not thrilled with any of them.

Sorry to hear you're not well. Please remedy that situation! Smile
May 13, 2014, 19:41
bethree5
Subject reminded me of G&S:

If you want to know who we are,
We are gentlemen of Japan:
On many a vase and jar —
On many a screen and fan,
We figure in lively paint:
Our attitude's queer and quaint —
You're wrong if you think it ain't
Ooooh!
May 13, 2014, 20:42
Kalleh
Wow - #6 is doing great now. Any more votes before I declare a winner?

Proof, I am sorry you are ill. Had I been able to vote, I might have voted for yours, too, though I probably would have fiddled with L5.
May 14, 2014, 11:07
arnie
That's eight votes cast. We don't usually get that many. Time for a declaration methinks.

May 14, 2014, 12:26
Kalleh
You've got it, arnie! And the winner [Drum Roll...] is: BOB HALE (#6 with four votes)!!! Congratulations, Bob, and you can pick your prize up in the can in Japan. Wink

Runners up were:

GEOFF #1- 2 votes
BETHREE #4 - 2 votes

The white ribbons (which I always used to get in 4H) go to:

#2 - Greg
#3 - Kalleh
#5 - Arnie
#7 - Bob

Great job, and, Bob, you're up next. [Be expecting a hard one, guys!]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
May 14, 2014, 13:29
Tom
I am guessing that #1, then, was Geoff, and Bethree accordingly was #4? (That would match their styles, as well as the same order you listed their names)
May 14, 2014, 21:29
Kalleh
Tom, you are good! I think I would have guessed the opposite.

Sorry, I have now edited that post to more clearly show the winners and runners up.
May 14, 2014, 21:58
BobHale
I'll be away for a couple of days. I'll post a new destination om Monday.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
May 15, 2014, 04:00
Greg S
For those of you who thought my limerick about a certain festival in Japan was sheer imagination, check this out.

Regards Greg
May 15, 2014, 20:52
Kalleh
And - for those who thought my tan man was sheer imagination, check this out.
May 19, 2014, 11:43
Kalleh
Hopefully we will get out destination today. I hope it's not too hard. Eek
May 20, 2014, 09:54
Kalleh
Bob, do you have a destination for us?
May 20, 2014, 22:06
BobHale
I'll post one right now.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.