Word Patterns

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/6086043015

December 28, 2003, 18:15
wordnerd
Word Patterns
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
...can you think of a word (without resorting to *onelook.com*) that contains the ordered subset of letters _____ROOR_____ ?

...can you think of a word (without resorting to *onelook.com*) that contains the ordered subset of letters _____THQ_____ ?
December 28, 2003, 19:03
wordcrafter
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
...can you think of a word (without resorting to *onelook.com*) that contains the ordered subset of letters _____ROOR_____ ?

Wordcraft Eponyms Page: roorback - a false or slanderous story used for political advantage

[Baron von Roorback, pen-name of author of Roorback's Tour Through the Western and Southern States, used in 1844 US presidential campaign] Smile
December 28, 2003, 20:05
haberdasher
... that contains the ordered subset of letters _____THQ_____ ...

is EARTHQUAKE.

How about ___HTH___ ?

(still working on DZTEGTBCRSTH BTS HMBTR)

PS I would propose no hyphenated words. So "eight-handed" (like a poker game) wouldn't qualify.
December 28, 2003, 20:10
haberdasher
Therre's always the simple ones we overlook. EIGHTH. I'm thinking of another. No, two others. Guess that wasn't much of a puzzle after all, certainly not unique...
December 28, 2003, 20:11
jerry thomas
Is this the eighth time you have asked about __HTH ??

Ophthalmologists will take a dim view of that.

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Sun Dec 28th, 2003 at 20:20.]
December 28, 2003, 21:32
haberdasher
eighth
ophthalmologist
(and all the other endings we could substitute)

Good. That's three and four. Can we get one and two?
December 29, 2003, 07:41
Kalleh
Haighth

Now, I swear I didn't get this from my knowledge base. Having gone to graduate school in San Francisco, I was googling for "Haight Asbury" and found it by happenstance.
December 29, 2003, 11:07
haberdasher
That's five. I'm still looking for numbers one and two, he said lightheartedly.

Oops. Okay, just looking for number one.
December 29, 2003, 15:55
Kalleh
Ahh, you gave it away, Hab. Lighthouse
January 06, 2004, 15:29
C J Strolin
A few last heavily vowel-laden things you can wear:

Boutonneire - though I have to admit I had to look it up to confirm the spelling.

Azalea - which a man could use as a rather showy (not to mention somewhat effeminate) boutonneire.

Daisies or Daisies in your hair - very stylish at 1960's Californian Be-Ins and such, and

Two points off for Jerry not getting this one: Lei.

I suppose that's about it. While this wasn't posed as a competition, the final results are in and I win. No whining please, the decisions of the judges are final.
January 06, 2004, 16:03
Kalleh
I suppose it all depends on how you define "wear." Roll Eyes Razz [Do I sound a little like Bill Clinton? However, I did think it all depended on how one defines is, being a literalist and all.]

Good job, CJ. You really did win, and I am also a little dismayed that there weren't more players! Frown
January 06, 2004, 16:35
C J Strolin
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I suppose it all depends on how you define "wear."

Right! I can't tell you how long I struggled with variations of your heart on your sleeve or out one's welcome.

And a late sidenote to Jerry: If Don Ho had been more heavily influenced by Bob Dylan, do you think he ever might have recorded "Lei, Lady, Lei"??
January 07, 2004, 18:11
wordnerd
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
I win. No whining please, the decisions of the judges are final.

Each of the nouns in the second sentence should be singular. As are you. Big Grin
January 07, 2004, 18:15
wordnerd
quote:
Kalleh: I suppose it all depends on how you define "wear."
C J Strolin: Right! I can't tell you how long I struggled with variations of your heart on your sleeve or out one's welcome.

Fortunately, you do not wear out my patience.

Even when you wear a [shudder] leisure suit. (That is not an edifying mental image.)
January 07, 2004, 18:28
jerry thomas
....... underwear my baby is tonight ......
January 07, 2004, 19:11
haberdasher
Semper ubi sub ubi
January 08, 2004, 07:41
arnie
... Or going commando...
January 08, 2004, 14:15
C J Strolin
VERY good, Wordnerd. And better late than never, and all that. Double credit for posting after the results were closed out.

And for those Wordcrafters who might not be as up on their Latin as they might be, Haberdasher's "semper ubi sub ubi" translates roughly into "always ubi sub ubi." My Latin/English dictionary, being composed concurrently with my OED update, is complete only up to the C's so I'm not quite positive as to its meaning in regards to this thread.
January 08, 2004, 17:48
haberdasher
Good start.

Semper is "always."

Ubi is "where."

sub is "under."

ubi is "where" again.

Associate loosely and then take another look at the post preceding the Latin, and listen to the the train of thought...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,