Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick Game: Spokane

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/7130004966

February 08, 2014, 08:10
bethree5
Limerick Game: Spokane
Location for the limerick contest is Spokane [spo-CAN, hear it at below link]. Second-largest city in Washington State, USA, & largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis, it had its beginnings in the early 1800's as a fur-trading, then general trading center, later a center of gold & silver mining, logging, agriculture. It is the commercial center of the Inland Northwest region. Although downtown is hardly picturesque, 'Lilac City' has a notable parks& garden system designed by Olmsted brothers. Residents can vacation nearby at gorgeous mountain Lakes Coeur d'Alene & Pend Oreille, or drive 4 to 5 hrs to world-class sites for snow sports & rapids-shooting (Columbia R., Cascade Mtns)

pronunciation: http://www.howjsay.com/index.p...pokane&submit=Submit

Please PM me with your wordcrafty lims!
February 09, 2014, 21:22
Kalleh
I have a dear friend who just moved there from Chicago to be with her man. It's much smaller than Chicago, so she's adjusting a bit (not the number of cultural events, restaurants, etc.), but she says it's charming. Can't wait to write one! Thanks, Bethree!
February 10, 2014, 18:10
Geoff
The only thinn I ever found charming in Spokane was the White Elephant surplus store, which, if it still exists, is bound to be just another big box store. We don't seem to be getting any surplus stuff from our present wars. I wonder why that is? I mean, who wouldn't want their very own Predator drone to spy on their neighbors or wipe out the noisy kids down the street?
February 11, 2014, 13:08
zmježd
The US Department of Defense still holds auctions of surplus equipment and such. It's probably that tastes have change and folks don't want surplus anymore. Wait, that's not true. I shopped in a local surplus store about 5 or 6 years ago.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
February 11, 2014, 15:23
Geoff
I suspect you've been in the White Elephant too. Have you?
February 11, 2014, 17:13
<Proofreader>
Our local city council threatened to put a "Surplus Store" sign on my cellar.
February 12, 2014, 07:54
bethree5
Three lims from two respondents in so far-- all great! Let's have some more.
February 12, 2014, 09:54
Geoff
I'll get one in as soon as I can figure out how to rhyme "Cobain," cocaine," and Spokane. Confused
February 12, 2014, 12:12
<Proofreader>
quote:
I'll get one in as soon as I can figure out how to rhyme "Cobain," cocaine," and Spokane. Posts: 2525 | Location: Гулаг

Don't forget "insane" and "migraine".
February 12, 2014, 20:17
Kalleh
Sorry, Bethree. I'll work on one tonight...
February 12, 2014, 20:18
Kalleh
BTW, I think it's pronounced spoh-CAN - that's how my friend who lives there pronounces it - not like CANE.
February 13, 2014, 04:45
Geoff
Yes, Kalleh, it is. I was playing with the non-rhymes.
February 13, 2014, 05:40
<Proofreader>
This relates to the other thread about alternate pron. I've heard it pron both ways, although "cane" is not common.

Locally there is a villae in northern RI named Pascoag. Like most of the other towns here which have Indian names, most people usea hard "g" when saying its name. But there is a minority who drop the "g" entirely and call it Pasgo.
February 13, 2014, 18:23
Geoff
Are they Monopoly players?

Consider how many UK towns are pronounced in a manner that gives little clue about their spelling. For that matter, Indiana locals murder the French pronunciation of the many French place names in this state. "Versailles" is "Versails, and "Notre Dame" is Noter Daym." "Terre Haut" is "Terra Hote."

As for Washington names, Tinman might want to chime in here with the REAL pronunciation of "Seattle."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,
February 16, 2014, 08:31
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Tinman might want to chime in here with the REAL pronunciation of "Seattle."

does it rhyme with Beatle?
February 16, 2014, 08:32
bethree5
HallOOOO, out there, may I have a couple more limericks for the hopper pliz?
February 16, 2014, 16:13
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:

does it rhyme with Beatle?http://historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8156&PlayID=33

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Say-what-How-to-really-pronounce-Seattle-1250631.php
February 16, 2014, 16:20
Geoff
Rats, I don't know why I can't make links of them, but you can cut and paste, then after you hear the audio, I defy you to rhyme it! Big Grin
February 18, 2014, 11:42
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Rats, I don't know why I can't make links of them, but you can cut and paste, then after you hear the audio, I defy you to rhyme it! Big Grin

Oh my gosh. Sounds like someone started to say 'Seattle', then interrupted themselves to slurp up spit.
February 18, 2014, 11:45
bethree5
24-HOUR NOTICE - WILL POST SPOKANE LIMERICK POLL ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON OR EVE.
We have 7 limericks from 5 people. I'm inspired by these entries to try a 2nd myself.
February 19, 2014, 15:07
Geoff
I just sent you a last minute entry. See PMs
Whew! Right down to the wire!
February 19, 2014, 19:24
bethree5
Got it

Posting poll now