Wordcraft Community Home Page
If your last name were...

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/7671084994

October 15, 2007, 20:51
Kalleh
If your last name were...
When I was a kid we used to play the following game: If your first name were _____, would you name your kid ______?

That game came to mind recently when I met someone named Merry Gay.

How about some more?
October 15, 2007, 22:35
jerry thomas
The Lee siblings .... Ora Lee, Ayna Lee. and their brother Manual Lee.

Oh, and their cousin Justin Case.

..... And Rosie Palm's son, Harry.
October 16, 2007, 18:16
TrossL
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
When I was a kid we used to play the following game: If your first name were _____, would you name your kid ______?

Why would someone's first name even come into bearing on what they named their kid?? Wouldn't a strange LAST name be the thing that makes their choice for their kid's first name funny or not?
October 17, 2007, 01:07
Richard English
I had a client whose name was Christmas. When he first made a booking with me for himself and his wife I asked him for his wife's name and I had some trouble keeping s straight face when he told me. She was called Mary.

Richard English
October 17, 2007, 19:26
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:

Why would someone's first name even come into bearing on what they named their kid??

Just a cultural peculiarity of English. Many cultures list the "first" name as the family name.

I've mentioned before that I once knew Harry Cox. I've long suspected that playful Richard Alpert chose the name, "Ram Dass" so it could be punctuated, "Ram D'Ass."
October 19, 2007, 15:24
bethree5
When I was a kid we had neighbors whose 4 children were named Larry, Terry, Barry and Vicki. We heard that they had 2 more after they moved to Florida, and used to joke that they named them Sticky and Icky.
October 19, 2007, 15:52
jerry thomas
The family name of a childhood classmate of mine was BOOE.

Someone recently fantasized that his sister's name might have been "Peeka," and that she worked in the Intensive Care Unit

Ring RRRING "Peeka Booe, ICU ..."

((( This comes to you from the Far-Fetched Dep't. )))