Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick game: Dún Laoghaire

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/788100153

October 22, 2009, 01:54
arnie
Limerick game: Dún Laoghaire
The new town is Dún Laoghaire.

In case you've not heard of it, it's the port of the Irish city of Dublin. On the off-chance that you're not fluent in Irish, it's pronounced "Dun leary".

Please send your limericks to me by PM. I'll post a poll with the entries when I get a good number.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 22, 2009, 07:30
<Proofreader>
Just to put it on top
October 22, 2009, 21:14
Kalleh
I will be traveling in the next few days (driving with my dad and daughter to Phoenix), so I will be thinking about it. I'll get it to you as soon as I can.
October 24, 2009, 07:40
bethree5
Mine's in
October 27, 2009, 23:55
arnie
Only two entries so far! Come on, folks! You can do better than that!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 28, 2009, 00:24
stella
Sorry for being tardy and for not joining in the previous discussion - life has been piling on me lately. I was thinking it'd be fun to try to guess who wrote the limericks if Arnie posted them anonymously - but we might need more than three for that. I bet I could pick proof / bethree / stella with my eyes closed!!! Big Grin
October 28, 2009, 12:39
stella
Eeek! I thought about that comment in the middle of the night and hoped it came across as I intended it to - I just meant that we have different styles and it could be more fun picking authors than winners. Smile Smile Smile
October 28, 2009, 14:17
<Proofreader>
I too can spot Stella's which are usually liberally littered with alliteration and assonance. Mine's on the way.
October 29, 2009, 18:54
stella
We could be tricky and write in different styles to confuse people - you could write limericks like mine and I could ...ummmm, no, maybe not....! Big Grin
October 30, 2009, 05:02
bethree5
I would be purely flattered to have my inimitable Roll Eyes style recognized
October 30, 2009, 05:44
arnie
Any more entries? I notice that a couple of the regulars haven't come up with anything yet. So far I've got seven limericks, although four are from the same person.

October 30, 2009, 22:12
Kalleh
Mine's finally in.
October 31, 2009, 00:04
arnie
Thanks Kalleh. That's eight so far. Any more? I'll give it a couple more days, then post them for voting.

October 31, 2009, 05:26
zmježd
Dún Laoghaire

While the English version of this town's name is pronounced /dʌn ˈlɪəri/, the Irish version is pronounced [d̪ˠuːn̪ˠ ˈɫeːrʲə] in narrow transcription (both these come from the Wikipedia article). For those who don't do IPA, the Irish sounds something like dune layra with the the syllable lay as in the verb and the final a as a schwa as in sofa.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 31, 2009, 07:18
Richard English
I've noticed that more with the Northern Irish accent. I was trying to write the name of a Belfast girl whom I met on a 'plane and who introduced herself to me as "Valrah".

It took some time before I realised that her name was "Valerie"

Richard English
October 31, 2009, 09:13
<Proofreader>
Or maybe she was telling you she was a "Valrah Girl."
November 02, 2009, 02:57
arnie
Nine limericks were received this time. I've listed them below, and please vote for the one you prefer in the new poll I started here.

Limerick A:

Limerick B:

Limerick C:

Limerick D:

Limerick E:

Limerick F:

Limerick G:

Limerick H:

Limerick I:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

November 02, 2009, 04:06
Richard English
quote:
Or maybe she was telling you she was a "Valrah Girl."

What's one of those?

Richard English