Wordcraft Community Home Page
Bluffing Game: PERSEITY

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/811104537

September 05, 2004, 06:47
<Asa Lovejoy>
Bluffing Game: PERSEITY
Since nobody jumped in after Jo, I'll toss y'all this bone to chew on: Perseity
Send daffynitions via PM or to ama11285@hevanet.com with the word as the subject.
September 05, 2004, 15:28
Kalleh
Oh, Darn! I had searched all weekend for one that would fool arnie...and I think I found one! I very methodically considered his knowledge of various languages and etymologies, the word Web sites he likes, and I made sure the word wasn't in either of the word books we had given him. Then, I made sure that Shu had never heard of it and wouldn't be able to define it.

I was just about to post it....

Someday, arnie, I will fool you! Wink
September 05, 2004, 15:38
haberdasher
Patience, young Jedi! :-)

Kalleh, you're next. The lovely part of words is that they stick around for a long time, even though they change.

Meantime, I'm in for Perseity, via PM.
September 05, 2004, 18:35
Kalleh
Ah, yes, I hope no one minds if I am next. In fact, that gives me even more time to stump arnie! I just hope he doesn't have a stroke of luck when it's my turn.

Asa, you have my definition by PM.
September 07, 2004, 21:56
<Asa Lovejoy>
I've only got five replies, plus the real definition, so far. Anyone else want to jump in on this before I post the daffynitions?
September 12, 2004, 09:28
<Asa Lovejoy>
The daffynitions:

1. Sloth (archaic)

2. The ability to pursue a task to the end, despite severe setbacks. From Greek mythology, Perseus, son of Zeus, who slew Medusa and rescued Andromeda from a sea monster.

3. noun (in medieval philosophy) The quality of those things having substance independently of any real object.

4. It really isn't a word. I made it up!

5. The quality of flaring briefly but spectacularly in the heat of summer, then subsiding. (Named for the Perseid meteor shower)

6. adverb: A psychological disorder in the family of obsessive/compulsive behaviours, resulting in an inability to abandon failed activities.

7. noun The quality of being oneself (From Italian per se "by itself")
September 12, 2004, 09:40
BobHale
I'll hazard three please.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
September 12, 2004, 09:48
jo
September 12, 2004, 10:16
jerry thomas
. .. ... ..... THREE ..... ... .. .
September 12, 2004, 11:33
haberdasher
Speaking for myself, I'll take #7. Though I would derive it fom Latin, rather than Italian.)
September 12, 2004, 11:55
Kalleh
I thought the same thing, Hab, so I am going for 3.
September 12, 2004, 12:53
tinman
I'll pick 5. It's probably not right, but I like the definition. And it would be a useful word, used in a figurative sense. Of course, it's probably 4!

Tinman
September 12, 2004, 15:17
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
I'll pick 5. It's probably not right, but I like the definition. And it would be a useful word, used in a figurative sense. Of course, it's probably 4!

Tinman

Tinman, did I goof and overlook your submited daffynition? If I did, you may come to Portland and kick me! Eek
September 12, 2004, 18:03
tinman
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Tinman, did I goof and overlook your submited daffynition? If I did, you may come to Portland and kick me! Eek

If you goofed, it's not my fault! I didn't submit anything, so you're off the hook there. I was hoping to get down to Portland this summer, but I never made it. I wasn't going to kick you, unless that's what it takes to get you to go to Powell's with me!

Tinman
September 12, 2004, 19:17
KHC
........four..Smile
September 13, 2004, 02:00
arnie
Three for me, please. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 13, 2004, 19:27
Kalleh
Suddenly I feel much more confident about my choice. Wink
September 13, 2004, 19:41
<Asa Lovejoy>
As well you should, Kalleh, since it's the right one.

#1 was Bob Hale's

#2 was arnie's

#3 was the correct definition, picked by Bob Hale, Kalleh, Jerry, and , of course (!) arnie.

#4 was Kalleh's, picked by KHC

#5 was Haberdasher's, picked by Tinman

#6 was Jo's

#7 was Jerry's, picked by Haberdasher and Jo

OK, Kalleh, you're up!
September 14, 2004, 02:14
arnie
Interesting. I came up with a similar daffynition to Jo, but with a totally different slant.

Me: The ability to pursue a task to the end, despite severe setbacks.

Jo: A psychological disorder ... resulting in an inability to abandon failed activities.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 14, 2004, 05:51
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
I was hoping to get down to Portland this summer, but I never made it. I wasn't going to kick you, unless that's what it takes to get you to go to Powell's with me!

Tinman

And I WAS up your way a few months ago, but was in a hurry. Oh, well, one of these days!