Bluffing Game - Lirp

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/8391072535

April 25, 2008, 19:14
Kalleh
Bluffing Game - Lirp
Okay, Wordcrafters, let's have a Bluffing Game word. This week's word is:

Lirp

Please send me your daffynitions via PM. If you are new to the game, please make up a fun definition that will fool those who don't know the word.

Let the game begin!
April 27, 2008, 06:18
wordmatic
Mine's in your mailbox.

Wordmatic
April 27, 2008, 21:34
Kalleh
I've got 6 now. How about a few more?
April 28, 2008, 00:43
BobHale
sent

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 29, 2008, 10:11
Kalleh
Last call for daffynitions. I will post them tonight.
April 29, 2008, 18:26
elledee
Looking forward to reading themSmile
April 29, 2008, 20:25
Kalleh
Okay...here goes. Thanks for all the daffynitions!

The real definition of "lirp" is...

1) (n.) A pendent part of the old clerical tippet

2) n., (Inuit) a harp seal infant

3) A fool (cf. back slang- Lirpa Loof=April Fool)

4) The point on a cliff where talus begins forming

5) The original Protoindoeuropean reminder word; an abbreviation of "Thou shalt not use the word 'lirp' under any circumstances; violators will be prosecuted to the full limits of the law"

6) Vertical side member of a door or window frame

7) A tap dancing step involving a hop and quarter turn

8) A disease of ferns spread by snails

9) Adjective. To slurp while chirping. For example, "While enjoying my morning coffee I suddenly found myself lirping along with a Jimmy Buffett CD"

10) obs. rare a snap of the fingers; also v., to snap with one's fingers

Now make your selections!
April 29, 2008, 20:45
wordmatic
I'll go with 4.

WM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,
April 29, 2008, 21:45
jerry thomas
Rebmun eerht knaht uoy. (THREE)

~~~~~~ jerry
April 30, 2008, 06:15
haberdasher
"How much does it cost? FREE? I'll take ten!" he said, with a snap of his fingers.
April 30, 2008, 11:16
BobHale

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 30, 2008, 19:57
<Asa Lovejoy>
Just to prove I am one, I'll say it's #3.
May 01, 2008, 06:13
arnie
I'll go for 10.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 02, 2008, 20:26
Kalleh
Any more "lirpers?"

I'll post answer this weekend, but I'd like a few more guesses.
May 03, 2008, 21:42
Kalleh
Sunday evening the answers will be posted. Please feel free to change your choices up until then. Are you 100% sure of your answers?

BTW, Jerry, I cannot see how I "edited" your submission. Please let me know my mistake via PM, and I am very sorry.
May 04, 2008, 05:34
wordmatic
ya mean....nobody's guessed it yet? Eek

Wordmatic
May 04, 2008, 20:02
Kalleh
No...somebody had "poster's remorse," and I thought I'd give that person another chance.

So here goes...the big winners are Hab and arnie. They didn't guess; they knew it. I am impressed!

I suppose I am the big loser because no one guessed my daffynition and 2 guessed the word's real definition.

1) (n.) A pendent part of the old clerical tippet - Kalleh's daffy; guessed by no one. It is one of the definitions of "liripoop." The other is a silly person, but that was too close to Bob's

2) n., (Inuit) a harp seal infant - Hab's daffy; no one guessed it

3) A fool (cf. back slang- Lirpa Loof=April Fool) - Bob's daffy; lirped Asa and Jerry

4) The point on a cliff where talus begins forming - Asa's daffy; guessed by Wordmatic

5) The original Protoindoeuropean reminder word; an abbreviation of "Thou shalt not use the word 'lirp' under any circumstances; violators will be prosecuted to the full limits of the law" - Jerry's daffy; guessed by no one

6) Vertical side member of a door or window frame - arnie's daffy; guessed by Bob

7) A tap dancing step involving a hop and quarter turn - Wordmatic's daffy; guessed by no one

8) A disease of ferns spread by snails - Another from Wordmatic; guessed by no one, but I loved it!

9) Adjective. To slurp while chirping. For example, "While enjoying my morning coffee I suddenly found myself lirping along with a Jimmy Buffett CD" - daffy by elledee; guessed by no one...my personal favorite!

10) obs. rare a snap of the fingers; also v., to snap with one's fingers The real thing; posted in Grandiloquent online dictionary, WWFTD, and the online OED; Hab and arnie got it right!
May 06, 2008, 21:08
<Asa Lovejoy>
Since "talus" has both a geologic and a physiologic meaning, I could just see Kalleh envisioning a pile of ankle bones tossed over a cliff! Roll Eyes