Wordcraft Community Home Page
meta-_________

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/9051018182

December 21, 2005, 20:04
Oberon
meta-_________
The other day I was introduced to the idea of a meta agnostic (someone who isn't sure if they're agnostic or not.) Previously I'd discovered metatools (tools for making other tools), metalanguages (languages for talking about languages), and other meta-things.

So I started thinking about it and was wondering if there's anything that can't be "meta"-ised - in other words, some word that when you prepend "meta" to it has no meaning. I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, so I was wondering if you guys could help.
December 22, 2005, 05:43
haberdasher
I suspect such a construction might be ineffable. After all, what's a meta- for?
(That's trying to be a pun, folks...)
December 22, 2005, 16:33
shufitz
There must always be something meta-, something beyond, to draw man onward. Robert Burns said it best:

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a meta- for?"
Sorry, hab -- your pun was so good I had to use it too! Big Grin
December 22, 2005, 18:43
Kalleh
"Meta" seems to have such a broad meaning, I suppose. I particularly use the word "meta-analysis," which is when a research question is answered by combining the results of all the studies, and statistically analyzing the combined results.
December 23, 2005, 11:55
Hic et ubique
Funny you should mention meta-, Oberon. Yesterday I saw a cartoon in which the post office clerk said, "We have a wonderful commerative stamp that's been issued to commemorate the issuance of commemorative stamps."
August 05, 2006, 20:09
Kalleh
Reviving a thread...
Nathan Bierma wrote a nice column on the word "meta," which, according to Bierma, is only in 2 major dictionaries, the OED and the New Oxford American Dictionary. This is the definition in the OED:

"orig. and chiefly U.S. Freq. in predicative use. Designating or characterized by a consciously sophisticated, self-referential, and often self-parodying style, whereby something (as a situation, person, etc.) reflects or represents the very characteristics it alludes to or depicts."

Is it not used in the U.K.?
August 05, 2006, 20:29
<Asa Lovejoy>
So, metatarsals are funny feet parts?
August 06, 2006, 01:38
arnie
Before the FIFA World Cup™ most people in England were bombarded with information about metatarsals; if the newspapers were to believed, they were the main subject of conversation in pubs. This was because Wayne Rooney, a football player, had injured his, and might not be able to play. See http://surpliceofspin.blogspot.com/2006/05/emerging-bra...oney-metatarsal.html

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
December 08, 2006, 15:09
lop
I've not come up with an example (yet) to fit the original question. I can't help but wonder if someone at Rocky and Bullwinkle's alma mater (whats-a-matta U) might be able to help? Would metahistory or metabiography "have no meaning" because they are repiticously redundant? What would a metamime do? Annoy people by acting like himself? Would a metanilist be of or about nothing? Like I said, I've not come up with an example I'm happy with yet.
December 16, 2007, 08:41
Celeste
Yes a metamime would anoy people by playing himself. Therefor exposing and surfacing any ideas of oneself in meta form....characters, personalities and emotions.
December 16, 2007, 08:57
<Asa Lovejoy>
I suppose the right to life contingent could paraphrase Will Rogers: "I never meta-man I didn't like."
December 17, 2007, 14:34
tsuwm
I went so far as to write a meta-meta-disclaimer for wwftd, which seems pleonastic as well as meaningless.