Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick Game: Kent

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/9931020725

March 07, 2008, 02:04
arnie
Limerick Game: Kent
I think this should be easy enough. I doubt that there can be much discussion on how to pronounce the word, anyway.

Although the area is now subsumed into Greater London, I was born in the county of Kent.

Let me have your limericks by PM please!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 07, 2008, 19:35
Kalleh
Now arnie I've already sent
You a limerick of your county, Kent.
I worked and I worked
(Became a bit irked!),
So if I don't win I'll lament! (Or perhaps you'll repent! Wink)

Kidding of course, as I am sure you know. Big Grin
March 08, 2008, 08:36
Seanahan
I thought I'd give this one a try. I just sent Arnie my first PM.
March 08, 2008, 23:24
Richard English
I was unable to get onto the site at all yesterday. I'll take a look at this limerick maybe tomororow.

Richard English
March 09, 2008, 03:30
arnie
So far I've got two from jerry thomas, and one from each of Kalleh, bethree5, and Seanahan. Bob and Richard are still missing. Any more entries?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 09, 2008, 04:38
BobHale
Mine should be with you now

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 10, 2008, 04:35
arnie
I've now received three limericks from Bob and one from Richard. He's titled the PM "Limerick 1" so I infer there are more in the pipeline. Any more contributions?

March 11, 2008, 08:18
arnie
Another now received from Richard. Last call! I'll post the results in the next couple of days (Deo Volente).

March 11, 2008, 19:54
Kalleh
We're waiting with bated breath...
March 13, 2008, 03:30
arnie
Well, now, it's been particularly difficult choosing a winner. As each PM came in, on reading the limericks I thought 'That one', then reread the earlier limericks and wasn't so sure any more. I won't have the temerity to criticise the entries; I'll just name the winner.

Kalleh's entry was:
bethree5 sent in this:
Seanahan's effort was:
jerry thomas sent in two: and
Two from Richard: and
BobHale submitted three:
And the winner is ...

Richard for his frustrated lady from Kent effort!

Up you step, Richard, to take the prize and suggest another place name!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

March 13, 2008, 10:17
Richard English
Well thank you, Arnie. I confess I myself preferred the dexterous man and his problems with those girls who had sinister genitalia! But each to his own.

So, continuing my ramble around Sussex, I will suggest the name of my nearest international airport, Shoreham (the oldest licensed airport in the UK, I am given to understand). http://www.shorehamairport.co.uk/default.asp

The airport, and its associated seaside resort, are both pronounced SHAW-rum.

Richard English
March 13, 2008, 20:02
Kalleh
SHAW-rum? Not SHORE-um? Would an American also say SHAW-rum? I'm just curious.
March 14, 2008, 02:58
Richard English
Shaw and shore are very close in UK English but when the word is used to form another word, as here, the distinction is unnoticeable.

I would imagine that the US inclination would be to pronounce the word as Shore-ham - but the "h" is always silent and the "a" barely sounded.

Richard English
March 14, 2008, 09:00
shufitz
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I myself preferred the dexterous man and his problems with those girls who had sinister genitalia!
An epitath: [I'm synthesizing several verions here, because I don't like anything I could find online.]

Here lies the body of Twisted Rick,
The only man with a corkscrew pri*ck.
All over the world he relentlessly hunted,
To find a gal who was spiral-c*nted.
He ended his search in far Glamorgan
When he found a girl with such an organ,
But the night they were married he fell down dead,
'Cause the love of his life had a left hand thread.
March 14, 2008, 10:50
Richard English
I confess I had heard this rhyme previously and it was my inspiration. But mine was my own creation.

Richard English
March 14, 2008, 19:59
Kalleh
It's a game anyway, Richard. This isn't the OEDILF. Even if it weren't your own creation, it would be fine.

How's about a new thread with Shoreham? I am probably going to use the American pronunciation.
March 15, 2008, 03:07
Richard English
New thread started.

Richard English