Wordcraft Community Home Page
Name the Word of the Year

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/1211041124

December 30, 2006, 12:07
shufitz
Name the Word of the Year
Want to name the Word of the Year for 2006? The American Dialect Society has not yet made its choice, and says that nominations are welcome for Word of the Year, as well as Most Useful, Most Creative, Most Unnecessary, Most Outrageous, Most Euphemistic; Most Likely to Succeed; and Least Likely to Succeed.

The good news: Your competition is weak. Nominations are in from only two people, and don't strike me as very compelling. None seems to have had any major huge import in this year's news, or any great chance of being still in use five years from now. I mean, really; look at them: The bad news: time is very short. Nominations will be culled on Jan. 4, and voted upon on Jan. 5.

So if you have any great ideas, or any not-so-great ones, now is the time! Big Grin Here are the rules:
December 30, 2006, 12:26
zmježd
foleyed

Of course, this refers to the disgraced congressman in the news this year, but there's another Foley who gave his name as a word: Jack Foley who was the first foley artist. If you stay and watch the credits as they roll at the end of a movie, you may have seen (besides grip and best boy) the term foley artist. And there's also cookie (or cucoloris) in movie lighting. Now you know.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 30, 2006, 14:49
jerry thomas
FEDUP ...... the name of the company resulting from the merge of FedEx and United Parcel. It contains a thinly-veiled comment on the U.S. Postal service, too.
January 07, 2007, 08:11
shufitz
And the winner is: the American Dialect Society voted "plutoed" as the word of the year, in a run-off against climate canary. To pluto is to demote or devalue someone or something, as happened to the former planet Pluto when the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union decided Pluto no longer met its definition of a planet.

In other categories:Full details here.
January 07, 2007, 21:53
Kalleh
Interesting, Shu. So if someone gets a demotion at work, are they plutoed? I guess it's not capitalized?