Wordcraft Community Home Page
A fun little quiz

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/1550065296

October 03, 2018, 01:16
BobHale
A fun little quiz
https://www.macmillandictionar...-quizzes/blends.html

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
October 08, 2018, 19:01
Kalleh
Yikes, I chose British-American English and got many wrong. You'd think by now I'd know.

You call the car windshield a windscreen?

Coriander is the same as our cilantro? I don't get it - we have coriander and cilantro. I have both in my kitchen. I chose allspice.

I thought a barrister was a lawyer, but apparently you specify between a someone who represents someone in court (barrister) and someone who deals with wills and other legal issues (solicitor). Do they have different education? They are all lawyers in the U.S., though they can specialize.
October 09, 2018, 05:08
BobHale
Well I intended to direct people to the portmanteau quiz but I suppose the others could be fun too.

October 09, 2018, 05:10
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yikes, I chose British-American English and got many wrong. You'd think by now I'd know.

You call the car windshield a windscreen?

No. YOU call the windscreen a windshield. Big Grin

October 09, 2018, 18:07
bethree5
That was fun, Bob. They were new to me, but I guessed everything except the one that means picking up litter while jogging (& forgot it already). Odd thing to make a word for.
October 09, 2018, 18:14
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
That was fun, Bob. They were new to me, but I guessed everything except the one that means picking up litter while jogging (& forgot it already). Odd thing to make a word for.

Exactly the same here.

October 10, 2018, 19:31
sattva
So, I had to laugh. After looking at this thread and not doing as well as I thought I would do on the test, I listened to another Agatha Raisin series book. She was in her car, and it started raining, So, she turned on her _________________? LOL Synchronicity!
October 11, 2018, 10:37
sattva
British: gritting a road when it snows
American: salting a road when it snows
October 14, 2018, 19:57
Kalleh
My absolute favorite though is: Mind the gap!