Wordcraft Community Home Page
Emoticons

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/2221055233

May 18, 2006, 21:24
<Asa Lovejoy>
Emoticons
While on a UK-based model airplane newsgroup I noticed that the number of emoticons used there is less than on the US equivalent ng. Is this an example of "British reserve," or is there another explanation for it?
May 19, 2006, 21:04
Kalleh
Well, Asa, I am not British, but I suspect you are right on that. I have noticed that the English posters don't seem to use, or like, emoticons as much as Americans do. I realize that's a generalization, and maybe it's just the group that I've posted with.
May 20, 2006, 03:04
arnie
In Wordcraft Junior the kids love to use emoticons. I wonder if there's any significance in that? Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 20, 2006, 18:15
Kalleh
Probably! Mad

I suspect kids always like them better. It may not be a cultural phenomenon then, but it is interesting to see some people who love emoticons, and others who hate them. I have to admit, though, that when I look at some of my old posts with lots of emoticons, I get a little embarrassed.
May 22, 2006, 05:03
Caterwauller
Eek You don't like emoticons? Confused Whyever not? Razz They're fun, and colorful Big Grin and they help distinguish what your mood is! Big Grin

My suspicion is that it is partly an age thing, and partly a "formal" thing. Those of us who are more informal might use them more often than those folks who are more formal. Wink

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
May 22, 2006, 12:28
Richard English
I prefer to use puntucation marks where I can. After all, isn't that one of their functions? Of course, sometimes more emphasis is needed, then, maybe, we can use an exclamation mark! Or maybe an anapodoton... and you can think of the rest...

Richard English
May 24, 2006, 19:00
Duncan Howell
Anapodoton? ANAPODOTON!? I developed a severe case of anaphoric anaptyctic anastrophism while trying to find that one in the dictionary. (Failed.) Confused Wink
May 25, 2006, 08:10
zmježd
See anapodoton.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
May 25, 2006, 11:52
Richard English
quote:
Anapodoton? ANAPODOTON!?
And it is, of course, defined in OEDILF http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=Anapodoton&button=Search

Richard English
May 25, 2006, 15:35
Duncan Howell
I get it! Smile An anapodoton is a sort of anacoluthon! I found that one right away. Seems like I've been doing it all my life. If only I'd known it had a name.... Smile