Wordcraft Community Home Page
Internet punctuation

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/2610047496

July 13, 2019, 19:46
BobHale
Internet punctuation
The latest Allusionist podcast is about how people do (and don't) punctuate in chatrooms, messages, emails and so on. The first point made is that people now often don't punctuate the end of a sentence with a full stop (period) because just hitting return does the same job.
They say that actually when you do use a full stop it is perceived as rude and aggressive - as if you are adding "and that's my final word on the matter".
That's something that would just never occur to me. I realise that we are hardly a typical sample of internet users but how do other people see it if someone in a chatroom or on Twitter or wherever punctuates in the "old-fashioned" way?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 17, 2019, 20:00
Kalleh
I don't use FB much, but I am quite poltical on Twitter. There are many types that I follow or read (comments from articles) and some don't seem that educated. Yet, I always see periods and other punctuation. I'll look more closely for it though.

My problem with Twitter is that you can't edit; you can only delete. I'll write something with a typo and will have delete the whole thing to correct it. Others on Twitter get irritated about that, too.
July 20, 2019, 17:23
bethree5
Report from luddite corner: my punctuation is spotty on text messages because I still use a flip phone. Periods are easy, but anything else requires click-scrolling through a bunch of choices...
July 30, 2019, 19:22
Kalleh
A flip phone? Wink Then I'll forgive your punctuation...