Wordcraft Community Home Page
Turkish Brothels

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/278109188

October 12, 2004, 07:39
arnie
Turkish Brothels
I went into the "Gents" of my local pub the other day and noticed that the landlord (presumably) had been rather over-enthusiastic in his use of air freshener. There was a very strong, cloying, fake-flowery smell in the air.

Another customer walked in and exclaimed, "Cor, it smells like a Turkish brothel in here!"

Thinking about this, I wondered why a Turkish brothel? Are they well-known for their odour? Do (say) French brothels smell much different? Enquiring minds want to know.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 12, 2004, 07:41
Caterwauller
Maybe you should do some first-person field-testing, Arnie!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
October 12, 2004, 07:50
jheem
arnie, the term in the States, I believe, is "smelling like a French whorehouse (or cathouse)".
October 12, 2004, 08:52
wordnerd
"Thinking about this, I wondered why a Turkish brothel?"

This is nothing but a wild-ass guess, arnie, but could "Turkish" be associated with the notion of an opium den? Thus "Turkish brothel" conveying both sexual and narcotic?
October 12, 2004, 16:20
neveu
I always wonder how they know what a Turkish (or French) brothel smells like, and I always ask.
October 13, 2004, 01:50
arnie
quote:
I always ask
That was something that occurred to me, too. However, asking personal questions of strangers in pubs is rarely a wise move; especially strangers who are nearly a foot taller and twenty years younger, as this particular guy happened to be.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 13, 2004, 05:51
Richard English
Of course, when Turkey joins the EC (possibly next year) they will have to ensure that their brothels meet all relevant EC legislation, including that relating to odours. As is well known, permitted European odours differ in several important ways from those permited outside the EC.

Richard English
October 13, 2004, 13:38
Caterwauller
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
I always wonder how they _know_ what a Turkish (or French) brothel smells like, and I always ask.

I thought guys generally never talked to one another in the restrooms . . . something about using trough urinals . . .

well? what DO you guys DO in there, anyway???

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama