Wordcraft Community Home Page
Santa Claus and the elf

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/2830033906

December 20, 2010, 15:53
shufitz
Santa Claus and the elf
”elf”??! An elf is by definition diminutive, but Santa is human-sized.

Has there beena change in the definition of “elf”? Or a change in our image of Santa Claus?
December 20, 2010, 16:24
zmježd
An elf is by definition diminutive, but Santa is human-sized.

Who sez? I'm not sure where elves are small meme came from, but I'm sure it's no older than the last century. (Are you thinking of dwarfs?)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 21, 2010, 01:30
arnie
Yes, think of the Elves in the Lord of the Rings trilogy - they are described as human-sized.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
December 21, 2010, 20:51
Kalleh
I always thought elves were supposed to be small. Dictionary.com agrees on that: Link

Here's what the OED says:
quote:
The name of a class of supernatural beings, in early Teutonic belief supposed to possess formidable magical powers, exercised variously for the benefit or the injury of mankind.They were believed to be of dwarfish form, to produce diseases of various kinds, to act as incubi and succubi, to cause nightmares, and to steal children, substituting changelings in their place. The Teutonic belief in elves is probably the main source of the mediæval superstition respecting fairies, which, however, includes elements not of Teutonic origin; in general the Romanic word denotes a being of less terrible and more playful character than the ‘elf’ as originally conceived. In mod. literature, elf is a mere synonym of fairy n. and adj., which has to a great extent superseded it even in dialects. Originally elf was masculine, elven n. feminine; but in 13th and 14th c. the two seem to have been used indifferently of both sexes. In mod. use elf chiefly, though not always, denotes a male fairy.