Wordcraft Community Home Page
Beermat English

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/300107942

July 27, 2009, 02:33
BobHale
Beermat English
I had been looking at the words on my beermat in the pub yesterday for some time before it occurred to me that there was more than one possible interpretation and that I had no idea which was meant. Worse than that, one of the two possible interpretations gives precisely no information.

"MADE WITH 100% BRITISH BARLEY"

Does this mean that the beer in question has

a) British barley as the only grain involved in the brewing process or
b) Multiple different grains are present but any barley used is British (though there might be any amount from 0% to 100%)

No I have no idea either.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 27, 2009, 04:15
arnie
There is another possible interpretation, although it is self-evident nonsense:
c) (The beer) is made from British barley alone, with no other ingredients, not even water.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 27, 2009, 04:47
BobHale
Indeed.
But my two are both plausible and it's impossible to say which is meant.

July 27, 2009, 05:41
<Proofreader>
Why would you make a beermat out of barley?
July 27, 2009, 05:46
<Asa Lovejoy>
Because if they made it out of hops it wouldn't just lie there.
July 27, 2009, 06:33
goofy
To me, it clearly means b).
July 27, 2009, 07:45
BobHale
You see goofy, that's the point. Until b) occurred to me, to me it clearly meant a).

July 27, 2009, 08:37
<Proofreader>
If you'd had enough beer, you would have recognized it as the Magna Carta.
July 27, 2009, 20:50
Kalleh
Interestingly, it clearly meant a) to me.
July 27, 2009, 23:17
Richard English
Beermats may be a thing of the past if this article is to be believed! http://212.58.226.17/1/hi/business/8049077.stm

Richard English
July 31, 2009, 21:01
Kalleh
From what we're hearing, so might pubs be ?
August 02, 2009, 12:44
Richard English
Although the situation is not as dire as it might immediately seem (J D Wetherspoon opened five new pubs last month) is is grave. The recession and our present Government's swinging tax increases are the main reasons - but there are others.

Richard English
August 02, 2009, 12:50
<Proofreader>
Don't worry, Richard. I'm sure, in keeping with our record of assistance during WW2, President Obama will send convoys of American beer to save Britain from its drought.
August 02, 2009, 14:14
tinman
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Don't worry, Richard. I'm sure, in keeping with our record of assistance during WW2, President Obama will send convoys of American beer to save Britain from its drought.

Yes, and I'm sure he'll send his favorite beer, Bud Light.
August 02, 2009, 15:44
<Proofreader>
What's wrong with that? It's Belgian now.
August 02, 2009, 20:38
Kalleh
quote:
Yes, and I'm sure he'll send his favorite beer, Bud Light.
It hasn't changed an iota, Proof.

Yes, we talked about this on our chat. I was disappointed that Obama didn't select something like Goose Island. He must not like beer.
August 03, 2009, 00:27
Richard English
quote:

It's not the beer that is in short supply, it's the disposable income to buy it. Beer consumption has decreased over the years - but the reduction in production is a consequence of the reduction in consumption, not its cause.

Even during WW2, beer was not in short supply and was not rationed.

Obviously, Obama, in spite of his other examples of good judgement, does not like good beer if he considers Bud Light his favourite. Just about the only resemblance that Bud Light has to decent beer is that it is a liquid with a head.

Richard English