Wordcraft Community Home Page
Oh Dear!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/4411006372

November 23, 2005, 11:27
arnie
Oh Dear!
I hate to sound like a curmudgeon, but I was quite horrified to read the following final line in an email sent to me asking for help:
quote:
Waiting with baited breadth!!!!

This was sent to me at work by the headteacher of a school. It so happened that I couldn't help, but the terrible example would have hardly persuaded me to assist.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 23, 2005, 19:57
Kalleh
Well, Arnie, it could have been I. So many times I have caught myself with errors such as this...and sometimes I haven't caught myself in enough time. Wordcraft has helped, and many of you have caught some of these errors. Wink

And we'd never think that you're a curmudgeon!
November 24, 2005, 04:40
Graham Nice
Was he being whimsical? One mistake might be through ignorance, but two? Perhaps he knows what a curmudgeon you are.
November 24, 2005, 05:08
saranita
Quite a few years back, I had the pleasure of working with a fellow who was gifted with words and was also very witty. He remarked one day on the common misspelling of "bated breath," and told me he and his wife had a private joke related to that, saying to each other, when they are eagerly awaiting something, that they are "waiting with worm on tongue."
November 24, 2005, 11:10
arnie
quote:
Was he being whimsical?

Highly unlikely. She (for it was a she) doesn't know me at all.

Actually there were three mistakes. Four exclamation marks are three too many.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 24, 2005, 12:35
<Asa Lovejoy>
I've heard in songs of women with kisses like wine, honey, etc, so maybe she was coming on to you? Big Grin
November 24, 2005, 22:40
Kalleh
Oh...Saranita...I love "waiting with worm on tongue!" Big Grin
November 25, 2005, 05:17
Graham Nice
Perhaps she normally writes, with baited breasts.